The Unexpected (Kalijah)

A/N: Got this idea by reading a recent fanfic on fanfiction.net similar to this. Also, I'm pretending that Hayley and the pregnancy doesn't exist.

It was a dismal night, as a human Katherine entered the compound. She had some news that would definitely benefit Elijah, the other Mikaelsons, and herself. She and Elijah had had a thing before he'd left her. Elijah never knew, because he'd left. That, and because she'd been a vampire at the time. She had just recently found out that she was pregnant. Apparently, being a doppelganger made it possible.

As she entered the compound, she didn't know what she was walking into. No matter what though, she was there to let Elijah know. He was a good guy and she still loved him. He deserved to know that she was carrying his child. Besides, she hoped that there was a possibility that she and Elijah could mend what was broken between them.

"Katerina?" she heard a voice from behind her say.

She turned around to face him.

"Elijah," she greeted.

Elijah suddenly realized that she was different.

"You're human," he stated. "What are you doing here, Katerina?"

"I need to tell you something," she informed him.

"What is it?" he questioned, though he assumed it was probably bad news, as it usually was with her.

"After you left me for your brother yet again, I sort of tried to kill Elena. I thought she might have had something to do with you leaving. She shoved the cure down my throat, so that's why I'm human. I recently learned from a witch that because I'm a doppelganger, it's possible. I'm pregnant and It's yours."

He was shocked, but also happy that maybe they'd get their own happiness.

"Are you certain?" he inquired.

"I am. Listen."

She stood just inches in front of him.

He listened with vampire hearing and heard a heart within Katerina. That's when he knew that she was telling the truth. She was definitely pregnant. He knew that as a human Katerina most likely wouldn't have been with any guy after their break up, so he believed that it was his.

Although he and Katerina both knew that Klaus probably would hate the idea of Katerina being here, Elijah accepted this news and said, "Welcome home, Katerina. You may pick any room you wish."

"Or you could let me stay with you," she added.

"Let's not push it," he replied.

"Fair enough. Thanks, by the way," she replied, before heading up the stairs to pick a room.

After she picked a room, she closed the door and went to bed. After everything she'd been through after turning human unwillingly, she needed sleep. She was exhausted after all the crap she'd had to go through. Being human sucked for her, but thankfully she had Elijah still. Even if they couldn't mend anything between them, she knew he'd protect her from danger, no matter what. They'd die for each other if it came down to it. Though he'd left, she knew he still loved her, as she did him. Besides, him leaving she knew was at least partly her fault. She'd lied to him a year ago, after all.

When Klaus returned from being at the bar, he immediately could smell Katerina's scent.