Chapter 4

Beatriz's P.O.V.

I came back home that day and as I unlocked the door, I closed my eyes and silently prayed he wasn't inside. I'd been going over yesterday's events in my head all day and I still didn't have the conviction of pushing him away if he tried something again.

As I came in, I saw that the kitchen light was on but he wasn't on the couch nor was the TV on. "Yes" I whispered, thinking he wasn't there. I kicked off my heels, as I did every day, dropped my stuff on the counter and sat on a barstool. I hung my head into my hands and sighed deeply. "Bea" Dammit. I tried to shake everything off and pushed away from the bar, smiling at him.

"Yeah?" "I just...I have something to tell you." "What is it?" He kept approaching me and I kept trying to convince myself that he just wanted to apologize even though something told me it wasn't like that. "I...I talked to María today." "Really? That's great! What'd she..." "I broke up with her."

"What?" I lost all feeling in my legs. I thought the conversation was going a whole different way and suddenly, a 180 degree turn. "Why did you do that?" He hung his head. It'd been a while since I talked to María but I'd assumed everything was fine. He seemed to have planned everything but he couldn't find the courage to say it.

"Look into my eyes." He whispered as he looked back up. "Do you want me?" "What do you mean do I..." "Just answer the question. Do you or do you not want me? Did you or did you not feel anything yesterday?" As I looked into his brown eyes, everything else disappeared. I did. I wanted him so badly. Something I still can't fully comprehend pushed me to do the unthinkable: I stood up on the barstool and pressed my lips against his urgently.

I took his face in my hands and thought: if I'm going to get this off my chest, I might as well. After a few seconds, my mind partially registered what was happening and I pulled away. As I did, I lost my balance on the tube of the barstool and he wrapped his arm around me to keep me from falling. "I'm sorry." "I'll take that as a yes." He dipped his head a little and his lips were on mine.

I was tired of resisting. I wanted him and I wanted him now. Part of me screamed: don't! Nothing will change. This is probably just a fleeting attraction. But the majority of me did not care.

...

We made love on his bed and I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it. Actually, for me, it was magical. While he caressed my face and other parts of my body, I looked at him thinking I couldn't believe this was happening to me, out of all people. I tried to push away the thoughts because I would go crazy.

But, as I lied awake and naked beside his sleeping figure, my normally pessimistic thoughts took over. Why would he be with a girl like me? The amount of women that would die for him is almost unthinkable. This is probably something he wanted to get off his chest. I covered my face thinking he'd probably used me to get over María.

I stood up silently so as to not wake him and went back to my room. He had another thing coming...I was putting on my high heels after fixing myself up. I heard Álvaro coming down the hall and braced myself.

"Morning." He said in his groggy, morning voice. I looked over at him and he was in his boxers. "Hey, sleepy-head. Get dressed. You'll be late for practice." He approached me and I stepped away a little. He didn't notice. "Bea, last night was..." "A mistake. And it'll never happen again. Good news is I talked to María this morning and explained the misunderstanding. She says she's willing to forgive you."

"Bea, what are you..." I knew he was confused but I had made my decision. "Believe me, it's better this way. Put 'er there." I placed my hand in the position where our secret handshake started. He was still confused but stepped forward and we made our handshake. It ended with a snap and a fist pump.

"Call María later. That girl really loves you. See ya!" As soon as I turned around, the tears started forming in my eyes. I bit my lip to hold them in until I put my coat on. I put on the hoodie and let the tears flow, not thinking about my ruined make-up. It was very me to hide the pain I felt from everyone but myself.