Five

Hey, author here. Sorry it took so long to update, I was kinda busy. Anyway, I've revisited previous chapters and adjusted a few things, the most major change being the date Nara arrived (I had to make them fit the Japanese summer break period, which I had accidentally overlooked when I started off). So, instead of April 4, I've moved the Saturday he arrived in to July 18, 1998. Apologies for screwing that up back then, heh.

Anyway, here's Chapter 5.

As the 86 accelerated ahead, I had already started to observe the hatchback's behavior.

More torque than my SA. Natural, but also more power than the 12A.

... Also natural.

I felt the first corner approach. Felt, because I was familiar enough with Akina.

Not yet, not yet...

I turned my head to observe the young Fujiwara. He seems relaxed.

Here comes the corner-

In a split second, I froze in fear. Takumi had just exceeded the braking distance I was used to with the SA.

And just as quickly, the young Fujiwara applied the brakes. I held onto the passenger seat tighter.

The Corolla slowed down and went into a combat drift, entering the corner at speeds beyond my comfort zone.

As the car reached the apex, however, I relaxed, knowing that we're not going to crash.

The Toyota exited the corner, its 1600 cc inline-four revving as high as it would go.

T-this guy...

I panted quietly, realizing that the young Fujiwara was a better driver than me. Much, much better.

The speed chime rang. A pleasant sound, but it was unnecessary for me as I was constantly directly looking at the dashboard.

As the next corner arrived, I was much less nervous as the hachiroku went through it, observing as it flawlessly drifted mere centimeters away from the guardrail.

And when the third came, I was no longer afraid, now immersed in seeing what I had done wrong with my driving, and thus learning something new.

Soon enough, we arrived at the first straightaway.

"Aren't you scared?" Takumi asked as we barreled down the open road.

I shook my head. "Not anymore. Man, you're amazing!"

"I-I'm not that great," was the reply I got as I noticed the young Fujiwara blush lightly at the praise. "Rather, you look like you're used to this."

I shrugged, a small smile on my face. "I ride along with others."

"Hmm..."

And as the next corner arrived, the both of us were silent again. It felt like Takumi knew that I've been driving, and that doesn't line up with my claims of not having a car. He could sense my lie, while I could feel that he knew the truth.

Driver to driver, huh...

--------------

Meanwhile, at a nearby diner, three men were just wrapping up a discussion about an upcoming challenge against Akina's 86.

Two of them are brothers. One of them doesn't race, but he serves as the "clerk" for the team.

All three are part of the Akagi RedSuns.

Takahashi Ryosuke sipped his warm tea, after explaining to Keisuke and Fumihiro how turbocharged vehicles were double-edged swords. He has also thought about Nakazato Takeshi's BNR32, the car Akina's 86 would likely race against next. A formidable car indeed, powered by the RB26DETT and utilizing an advanced AWD system, the ATTESA-ETS.