1. Arcana Cabana

New York city 2000

Asher POV
"David! Asher! Field trip today! David don't forget to wear clean underwear!" Mom yelled up the stairs.  I shot up and practically leaped out of bed I scrambled around my room before finding a cute outfit to wear.

  I shot up and practically leaped out of bed I scrambled around my room before finding a cute outfit to wear

I quickly brushed my teeth and pulled my brown hair into a messy ponytail. 

~Le Timeskip~

We were on the bus Dave sitting next to Oscar and Becky sitting next to me. Becky and I were talking about one of our subjects in school and Dave was drawing on the window.
"Now!" Dave exclaimed. At that moment his drawing of King Kong aligned perfectly with the Empire State Building.
"David! That's cool." Becky called out to my twin. I smiled knowingly at her and secretly nudged her shoulder and giggled. She just rolled her eyes. We finally arrived and got out of the bus. Our teacher started telling us about the statue of liberty, but I wasn't paying attention, Dave was writing a note and I was drawing in my journal. Becky had put the note on the bottom of a light pole just as the class started to move on. Just then a wind picked up blowing the note away and my brother being the idiot he always was ran after it. Now I was faced with two choices.
1. Go after my brother.
Or
2. Stay with the class.
Well obviously I didn't stay with the group.
"David! Come back!" I raced after him. Suddenly he stopped outside of a creepy looking shop. " 'Arcana Cabana?' Unique name." His note was stuck to the mail slot before it was sucked into the store.
"Come on Asher." He tugged me into the shop. I didn't protest, I was always the adventurous one. We looked around for Dave's note but couldn't find it. "No way!" Dave muttered. My eyes wandered to the object he was admiring. It was a lamp, like a genie's lamp.
"David maybe we shouldn't touch anything." He ignored me and soon he was stumbling all over the shop. I held my head in my hands as he backed into an urn and just as it was about to fall a strange man caught it. He looked at me then at Dave before speaking.
"The second emperor of the Han dynasty locked his least favorite wife in this urn for ten years to the day. They say if you open it up the same thing will happen to you." Dave got into protective older brother mode and pushed me behind him. Jeez the guy is twelve minutes older than me and he thinks it's his job to protect me.
"I'm sorry we're looking for a note, it kinda blew into your store. Have you seen it?" Dave asked.
"A note?" The guy asked. I spoke up.
"It just blew into your store. It was just a..."
"Coincidence." The guy finished.
"Yeah, it was just a coincidence." Dave murmured.
"I have something I'd like to show you Dave." He said before turning around.
"H-how did you know my name was Dave?" I shook my head at how oblivious my brother was. The man turned around and stared at Dave.
"Because I can read minds! It's on your backpack. Come on you two." I walked forward as Dave spun in circles looking for his name.
"Wait Ash!" He whisper shouted at me as he caught up to me.
"These are very special, and if the like you you can keep them." Dave looked at me and shook his head.
"We better not. Our teacher said we couldn't be gone for long. She knows we're here."
"You're a bad liar Dave. That's good."
He pulled out two rings, one was a Dragon and one was a Phoenix. He placed the dragon one in Dave's hand and turned to me. He saw I was hesitant and so he held out his hand for mine. I looked at him skeptically but placed my hand in his. He gingerly dropped the Phoenix ring into my out stretched palm. At first nothing happend. But just as Dave and I  were about to hand back the rings, they sprung to life and wrapped themselves around our fingers.
"No way!" Dave breathed out.
"I have been searching a very long time. Magically here you are. Those rings on your fingers, they mean something. They mean you are going to be very important sorcerers one day. And your first lesson begins right now with your very own Encantus's." He paused looking at Dave. "Do not move, do not touch anything." And with that he left. Dave started playing around with his ring causing what looked to be a Russian nesting doll to crash through a wall.
"No way." Dave remarked as he picked up the doll.
"Dave we really should listen to that guy." But it was too late. The doll had opened and roaches started to form a man's figure.
"When am I?" The Roach guy asked.
"N-new York city." Dave stuttered. I remained quiet as the man faced my brother.
"Not where. The year. You are wasting my time." The man lifted his cane as it started to glow. I moved to protect my brother. Suddenly a blast sent the man up into the roof.
"What happened to 'don't touch anything'?" The shop owner practically growled at Dave.
"That's no very sporting of you Balthazar." The man pinned to the ceiling called out.
" 'Balthazar'?" I murmured to myself having learned the shop keepers name.
"Be quiet! It's not you two he's been like this for 1,000 years. I'll explain later. I need the Grimhold. Where's that doll?" Dave pointed to the floor and I moved behind him. Balthazar moved over to where the doll was however he got blasted backwards. The man jumped from the ceiling and engaged in combat with Balthazar. I grabbed the doll as the two wizards were blasted apart.
"I'll have that doll!" The man in the fur coat exclaimed as he started to control a sword with his cane. Balthazar fought back with skill. Dave grabbed my hand and we started towards the door but befor we got there a jar broke and the water soaked into Dave's pants. Balthazar summoned what looked to be a lightning sphere and blasted it at the mysterious man who dodged it and in turn conjured a fireball setting the store aflame. He then turned to us and spoke.
"I want that doll." At that moment Baltazar jumped out from the wall of flames and tackled the man to the ground. The crazy man grabbed my leg and started pulling me closer to him. The urn had opened and Balthazar noticed.
"Leave, Asher Dave, leave now!" He shouted and I wasted no time. Dave and I ran out the door and I threw the doll into the street. Our teacher rushed up to us.
"David and Asher Stutler don't you ever leave your..." Dave cut her off.
"There's these crazy wizard guys in there they're made of roaches. No wait do go in there the store's on fire! Don't go in! Those guys are... crazy." I had followed them in and to my surprise the store was in perfect condition.
"You really shouldn't tell stories." Our teacher guided us outside.
"Ew! He peed his pants." One guy shouted.
"No a jar broke it's just water there was a fire!" Dave cried out hysterically. Becky shook her head in pity.

Third person POV
One thing was for sure, meeting Balthazar was going to change Asher's life.