1. Prologue

Ayn Rand once wrote: "Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark in the hopeless swamps of the not-quite, the not-yet, and the not-at-all

Ayn Rand once wrote: "Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark in the hopeless swamps of the not-quite, the not-yet, and the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish in lonely frustration for the life you deserve and have never been able to reach. The world you desire can be won. It exists.. it is real... it is possible... it's yours."

Jolene 'Jo' Taylor figured Ayn Rand had never visited Harlan County because if she did, she'd understand the true meaning of hopelessness, and wouldn't go around spouting off this shit about being positive.

Jo hated her home state of Kentucky. She thought it was a backwoods place full of inbred people. She wasn't exactly wrong either, not with the likes of Boyd Crowder running around wreaking havoc.

Growing up in Harlan had indoctrinated Jo to the dark side of human nature at a young age, and she'd come out the other side more cynical for it.

This, she had in common with Deputy U.S. Marshal Raylan Givens, among other things.

A challenge to her bleak outlook on life is about to come in the form of none other than Givens' fellow Marshal, Tim Gutterson, a former Army Ranger whose despondency just might rival her own.

Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Jolene 'Jo' Taylor

Disclaimer: I do not own Justified. All the familiar belongs to the show-runners and Elmore Leonard, only Jo Taylor and her ideas belong to me.

Now, I KNOW there's no market for this story on Wattpad; Justified ended years ago, and it wasn't ridiculously popular even then. Regardless, I LOVE the show and especially Tim Gutterson, so I'm gonna do what I want.