Chapter IX - Arienne

Another chapter!

As usual, leave your comments below, tell me your opinions, things that you can imagine happening, etc.

~~~~~~~~~~

It takes another 3 days for my wounds to heal and for me to build up my strength. Everyday, without fail, someone new comes to meet me, first it was Lord Varys, the one that they call 'The Spider.' He seemed pleasant enough, he didn't try to grill me for secrets as I worried that he would, but instead treated me with dignity and class. Then, on the second day, came Ser Lancel Lannister, a handsome man who happens to look a lot like Joffrey, probably due to the fact that they share the same bloodline. On my third and final day of rest came the younger brother of the King, Tommen Baratheon.

A boy of 12, Tommen is the complete opposite to the rest of his Lannister kin. Kind and considerate, asking me questions rather than talking about himself, Tommen is the perfect prince. He told me that he'd come to visit me because the King himself asked it, wanting to ensure that I was recovering properly. I can't help but feel for him, constantly being overlooked just because he had the misfortune to be born as the younger brother. But the laws of our realm state that Tommen is still the heir to the throne, as Joffrey is not yet married and with children. So I suppose that he isn't overlooked completely.

The maester confirms that I am well enough to leave my bed and begin working for Margaery, a message that Tommen conveys on to the King. I'm glad to finally be allowed out, being stuck in a room for over a week has been driving me mad, and i've longed to be able to leave and explore. But that will have to wait, for I am expected to begin work today

I woke up early, not wanting to be late, and Dafina ran me a hot bath. She laid the gown that Margaery had sent for me as a gift, a beautiful blush pink dress, typically King's Landing style, stiff, hard to move in, but definitely beautiful. It must be one of her old dresses, that's how fine it is. The silk is plush and expensive looking, embroidered with intricate golden swirls. On the shoulders are slightly ruched red sleeves onto top of the long ones that reach to my wrists. And in the corner, though faint, embroidered in red is the Lannister Lion, mid-leap. It reminds me that the Lannister's are in charge here, from the food I eat to the clothes I wear.

The Lannister's are not to be messed with.

Many people have learnt this lesson before me. Though they tried to cover it up, it's no secret that Ned Stark was executed for spreading rumours and making allegations against the King. Allegations which a lot of people wonder if there is any truth behind.

Anyway, Dafina decides that my hair should be left loose, she braids sections and secures it with a red ribbon that matches the sleeves and under-gown. I pop a ruby earring into each ear until I am ready to be presented to the future Queen.

Margaery's quarters aren't very far from my own, I suppose that's because if she should need me, then I don't have far to travel. I still have to pass down one of the sweeping, limestone staircases that seem to adorn the Red Keep. Every I look, beautiful and expensive things are to be seen. Portraits of Kings, varnished tables that cover entire walls, flower arrangements and crests of the joint emblems of House Baratheon and House Lannister, Joffrey's coat of arms. Most of the walls are painted a pale shade of red. Ivy seems to grow around the columns of the balcony's, the only sign of how old this palace actually is.

Dafina leaves me outside Margaery's room, where a guard is waiting to show me in. Before she leaves however, she strokes my cheek, and smiles gently. "You'll be fine," she whispers soothingly. I wasn't worried until now, but suddenly I understand how bad it would be for me if I mess this up. Margaery is to be the Queen, Joffrey's Queen, that means that she has a lot of power, and that power would be enough to crush me like a bug. Sure, Joffrey stood up for me once, by dealing with my aunt and cousin, both who were still locked in their rooms, as far as I knew, but if I were to upset his wife, who knows what the punishment would be.