Chapter Ten

"Rose!" Lissa called. "Adrian's back!"

I raced downstairs, hoping I would beat Dimitri to Adrian. I did. Only, when I saw Adrian, there was no Sydney by his side. His eyes were red, and I could smell the faint scent of alcohol on him. He couldn't find Sydney. Lissa stood against the wall holding back tears, Christian trying to comfort her.

I felt tears brimming in my eyes. "You couldn't find her, could you?"

"No. I've called her a thousand times. Belikov went to look for her"

"What? He didn't even tell me he was leaving! Where's Erik?" I panicked

"Rose, calm down. Erik is sleeping in his crib, Dimitri is fine, and Sydney will be brought back to us" Lissa. Always optimistic.

I put my hand to my forehead. "I need to keep an eye on Erik. We've had enough family members disappearing"

"Family members are not disappearing, Rose. They'll be back. Just think positively"

"I can't, Liss! I'm not like you! I've seen too much tragedy to be optimistic!"

"Rose! I watched my family die! Ive seen my boyfriend mauled by psi-hounds! I've been kidnapped! I've seen you shot! I've been taken by Strigoi before! You're telling me I haven't faced tragedy?"

"Liss, I am so sorry. I didn't mean it that way-"

She sighed. "I know, Rose. Just go check on Erik"

I turned on my heel, heading downstairs. Sure enough, Erik was sleeping in his crib. His pacifier was falling out of his mouth, so I took it away from him and set it on the dresser. I plopped down into the lone chair in the corner, resting my head against my hand. My hair fell in front of my face, creating a dark curtain to shield my eyes. I felt a silent tear slide down my cheek. Two years ago, it would've been a rarity to shed these tears. Now it has become common. I need to be stronger for everyone. I wiped my tears away, and stood up.

I tied my hair in a messy bun, then heading to the workout room. I punched the shit out of the punching bag, trying to avoid severe kicks. I didn't want to hurt my babies. After two hours of punching, I leaned against the bag, exhausted.

"There's the old Rose"

"Yeah. The one you fell in love with" I said sadly. "Did you bring Sydney back?"

"Yeah. But, she kind of locked herself in her room. Now back to the Rose I fell in love with... Are you implying that I don't love the new, mature Rose?"

"Well... It kind of seems that way. I mean, we fight so much now... And, I'm crying all the time. I thought I got my happily ever after