Chapter 18

It was pouring by the time we made it to the highway, winding down the road toward Forks. I'd captured Jisung's arm and wrapped it around my shoulders. (He didn't mind.) It was growing blacker by the minute, rain thunking onto the glass and blurring the outside world.

"Can you even see?" I asked, squinting out the windshield.

"It looks like day to me." He shrugged.

"So you have night vision? What else can you do?"

"I can hear really well." But he tugged on my earlobe.

I scooted over to the far side of the bench seat, holding my hands over my mouth. I spoke as quietly as I could.

"Did you hear that?" I asked him.

"'Construction ahead,'" he answered, smug.

"I made it too easy." I whispered again. "What'd I say?"

"'I couldn't hear.'"

"Oh, so you can't do everything."

"No, you said, 'I couldn't hear!'" he shouted.

I laughed — it was too easy to find my way under his skin.

I sandwiched my palms over my mouth.

"What'd I say then?"

"You didn't say anything — you're just trying to sabotage me now!"

I scooted back to the spot next to him. "It's fun to mess with you. You get loud."

He closed his mouth, side-eyeing me.

"Can your whole family see and hear everything?" I asked.

"All vampires can. We're designed to be the ultimate predators."

"I want to make fun of you so bad right now."

He pressed his lips into a line. "Go for it. My family does."

That distracted me. "Tell me more about your family," I said.

"What do you want to know?"

"How did you all find each other?"

"We've been building our family since... a while. Mostly it was by chance."

"And when it wasn't?"

"It's a long story."

I sighed dramatically.

"Okay, okay." His nose twitched as he searched for words. "I am not the only one in my family with... gifts. Felix is a precognitive. He has visions of the future. It's how I knew you were in trouble in Port Angeles. Someone makes a decision, and it's like the butterfly effect. He stares off into space and sees the change as if he were watching a movie."

"Like Raven from That's So Raven?"

"Yup, that's him."

I giggled.

"Felix says he made the smallest decision, to turn left instead of right, and he saw himself becoming a part of our family," Jisung continued. "He had no idea we existed. He had no idea Changbin existed when he saw him in the same vision and instantly fell in love with him. The two of them found us in nineteen twenty-two, they've been with us since."

It was fascinating, knowing all this and linking it to the guy I met a few days ago. With his bright coral hair and gargantuan smile, I could tell Felix was odd, but I wouldn't have pegged him for a fortune teller in a thousand years.

"Does Changbin have a power?" I asked.

"Changbin's gift is... unique. He can manipulate a person's emotional climate, excite or sooth a crowd at will. He acts like he's gonna take over the world, but we know he's too fluffy."