CHAPTER TWO

FLASHBACK

ONE YEAR LATER

MADISON'S POV

You never really know how much you're going to miss something till you loose it. It's been a year since I lost my mother and sister and things weren't the same again . Though my dad and I did our best to make things normal again because we knew that they wouldn't want us to grieve for them forever, they would want us to move on and continue with our lives.. And be happy. We went back to doing the things we used to do while they were still around. We got our movie night back, our shopping Tuesday and all other fun things. Every Saturday evening, we'd go to the cemetery and pay them a visit, I would go on for hours talking to my sister and mom about so many things going on and it made me feel better.. And alive. My dad did the same thing too. Our relationship with Taylor grew day by day. Sometimes, he'd sleep over just to keep my dad company and they would watch the news together, football matches etc. He was more like a member of our family. Nanny Lupe automatically became my second mom, she'd prepare whatever I needed for school and even come for my school's PTA meeting whenever dad couldn't make it due to a meeting or visit to the doctor for God knows what and I was really grateful to her but I couldn't help but worry about her because she was in her early sixty's and I didn't want to stress her too much, so sometimes I would just talk less about school meetings and assure her that I could handle things myself. 

It was 2:15 pm on Wednesday, I was on my way to the school's pavilion when a guy from my class called out for me..I think his name was Drew.. Dylan, I was not really sure. I stopped on my tracks and turned to face him "What's up?".He scratched the back of his head "Umm..well we are having a pool party on Saturday and I was wondering if you'd come". I smiled at him trying to make it seem less awkward " I'm sorry but I can't.. I'll be too busy..maybe next time".

"Oh okay..see you tomorrow then" he said and walked away as I did the same. The truth of the matter was that I lied, I wasn't going to be busy..I was just not the type to go for parties or socialise too much. It's not that I was a nerd or weirdo but I just had so many important things to do and going to a pool party and getting wasted wasn't one of them.

I was seated on the bench of the pavilion in my school waiting for Taylor...yeah I was almost 15 but was still being picked up by my driver. I mean I could go home by myself but my father wouldn't let me at all, plus Taylor wasn't really cooperative when I tried talking him into letting me go home myself, so I was left with no choice but to wait for Taylor or sometimes my father everyday after school at the pavilion to come and pick me up. As I waited patiently with my headset on, I closed my eyes as I welcomed the cool breeze of April...I sighed in delight..I loved peaceful moments like this. After a few minutes of thinking with my eyes closed, I felt a tap on my lap, I opened my eyes expecting to see Taylor but I saw my dad who was looking at me with a smile "I take it you're surprised to see me here"
"

You said Taylor would be the one to come and pick me today.." I replied trying to register everything that was going on "Am I in trouble..did Miss Mullins tell you anything...Is it about the math homework?? I swear I did it immediately I came to school this morning" .My dad chuckled at the way I was rambling "No sweetheart not at all.. You didn't do anything wrong. There's something I need to discuss with you about and that's why I came here to pick you..so shall we?" He brought out his hand for me. I looked at him before I placed my palms on his and we both walked to the car together.