Chapter 19: Truthfully

Kasey, Heather, and Madison were sitting in the kitchen when Heather's husband Trevor came home. "Heather" he called out. "In here" she said. Trevor came walking in and was in mid-sentence when he stopped. "Heather, why is Kasey Kahne sitting in our kitchen?" he asked. "Well honey because he is an old friend from back home which I have told you and because he is Madison's boyfriend" Heather replied. "Madison when did you guys get back together?" he asked. "About a month ago when I went to Charlotte to interview him for the CMT thing at the track" Madison said taking a sip of her wine. "I thought you hated him?" Trevor asked. "Ok who's ready to eat?" Heather asked changing the subject. Kasey looked at Madison and gave her a questioning look. "Look Kasey, when I met Trevor back when he and Heather first got together, I still wasn't over you and I hated how you made me feel and I couldn't shake you. That's what he means by that" she said. Kasey smiled at her understanding. "Come on let's go help Heather." They sat down to dinner and made small talk. "So Kasey seems like your season is going pretty well" Trevor said. "Yeah we have a lot of momentum and I have picked up some good luck recently" he said winking at Madison. "That's good" Trevor said taking a sip of his beer. "After dinner, do you want to go to the store with me Madison?" Heather asked. "Sure" Madison said. "Honey can you please clean up so we can get the last minute stuff for Olivia's party" Heather said to Trevor. "No problem" he said. Heather and Madison gathered their things and went out the door. 

Trevor cleared the table and got the kids ready for bed. "Kasey would you like to join me outside for a beer" Trevor asked. "Sure" Kasey said. He followed Trevor out to their massive backyard and sat down beside the fire pit. "Here you go" Trevor said handing him a beer. Kasey popped it open and took a sip. "So you and Madison huh?" he asked taking a seat. "Yep" Kasey said. "How did it all begin? I mean I've heard some stories, but Heather isn't much at sharing her stories with her and Madison" Trevor said. Kasey took another sip. "Well it started back when we were kids. Her family lived down the street from mine and her mom and my mom became really good friends. We would have family parties and so we became fast friends. As we got older, things began to change as they always do and we started having stronger feelings for each other. Madison was quite the catch and every guy at our high school wanted to date her. The night I told her I was leaving for Indiana the following year is what changed everything and we started dating until I left. 7 years later we ran into each other again and well you know how that worked out and then there's now" Kasey said. Trevor nodded and smiled. "You know when I met her, you were all she talked about" he said. "Really?" Kasey asked. "Oh yeah" he said. "I tried hooking her up with one of my friend's and she always found something to be wrong with them so she didn't have to date them. Heather always said it was because of the fact she wasn't over you, but was too proud to say or do anything about it" he said. Kasey kind of sat back in awe. He never knew Madison had felt so strongly for him after ending it. "Did she ever say anything else?" Kasey asked. "She used to say how lucky she was to spend the time with you she did. Heather told me more though. She said Madison broke up with you because she felt like your life was about to take off and she wouldn't have fit into the picture. She felt like she was better off going her own way and cheering for you from afar" Trevor said. "Wow" is all he could say.

"I'm so glad you took time out of your busy schedule to come and visit" Heather said as they walked through the store. "Yeah yeah" Madison said picking up balloons. "He loves you, you know" she said. "How can you tell?" Madison asked. "The way he looks at you. It's like you're his whole world" Heather said. "I just don't want this to end up how it has in the past. He's the reason I ran away you know" Madison said. "Oh I know. Madison I knew you loved him, but you were afraid of the commitment and being with him again scared you. You broke the poor boys heart" she said. "Right, but he had plenty of women who could feel the void" Madison said. "Stop being so hard headed" Heather said. "If he asked you tomorrow, would you marry him?" Heather asked. "Oh come on" Madison said. "Answer the question" Heather said. "Ok, yes I would say yes" Madison said.

Madison and Heather made it back to the house and found the boys outside. "Hi honey" Trevor said as Heather went to sit on his lap. "Are we ready for tomorrow?" he asked. "Yep just have to pick up the cupcakes around 11" Heather said. Kasey smiled at Madison who had taken a seat next to him. "What did you boys talk about while we were gone?" Heather asked. "Oh you know sports and such" Kasey said. "I'm tired" Madison said. "We'd better get to bed, early day tomorrow" Trevor said. Kasey followed Madison upstairs to her room. He watched as she took her earrings off and set them on the dresser. "Can we talk?" he asked. Madison looked puzzled and joined Kasey on the bed. "I was talking to Trevor tonight and you and I came up" he said. "What did he tell you?" she asked. "He said I was the reason you never wanted to date anyone else and you left me because you weren't ready for the trip my life was about to take me on" he said. "He's right Kasey, I wasn't ready, but I am now." Kasey smiled and his hand graced her face as he leaned into kiss her.

The party was a success. As Olivia and played with her new toys, Heather and Madison cleaned up. "Do you really have to go back tomorrow?" Heather asked. "Yes I have a job" Madison said with a laugh. "So after this weekend, when are you and Kasey going to see each other again?" Heather asked. "Not really sure, we try to see each other as much as we can with our schedule" Madison said picking up some plates. "I think you two should think about moving in together" Heather said. "Didn't I tell you I didn't want to move that fast?" she said. "I'm just saying. Doesn't he have a big enough house for an entire football team?" Heather asked. "Yeah I guess you're right. I like what I do though and not sure that I want to give it up." "Madison you've worked hard since you were 16 always putting everyone first over yourself. I think it's time you need to realize he can take care of you and things would be easier for you." "Maybe you're right" Madison said.