𝐓 𝐖 𝐎

Kimberly

"I'm just saying, if you're trying to get laid, you might not wanna look like you raided your grandma's closet from 1951. At that point it's not even vintage, sweetie."

The harsh words that left her best friend's lips earn an eye roll from Kimberly as she continued to sift through the racks of clothes. "Who says I'm trying to get laid?"

Arah rolls her neck to give her a pointed look, eyebrows raising in question. The pause in their conversation brings Kim to look up at her friend's reaction. 

"It's a wedding, for christ's sake, Kim. Everyone's trying to get laid." 

"Yeah but it's your uncle's wedding, Arah." Kim pointed out.

There's a shrug of her shoulders as she pulls out several gowns, all with price tags far too hefty for Kim's budget. "And? That's not stopping me. I hear the bride has lots of friends coming." 

Arah quite literally tossed the pile of dresses into her friend's arms, ushering her towards the fitting room to try them on. 

Kim tried not to scoff at the price tags that displayed on the select dresses her best friend picked out. While Arah may have come from an incredibly rich family, she did not. 

Kimberly Phelps was average, in more ways than one. But it didn't bother her. She was content with her life. At least, that's what she told herself everyday. 

After going through six other stores and trying on seventeen other dresses, the two girls were on their way back to the Kwon Estate. They were set to leave early the next morning so Kim decided to just spend the night. 

The loud blaring noise of an alarm has Kim groaning, not wanting to be disturbed from sleep. But the flick of a light coming on has her eyes squinting with irritation. 

Just barely, she can make out Arah's form standing at the edge of the bed with her face mask on.

"I was gonna wake you up earlier but I told myself that I should just let you sleep until your alarm went off so up and at 'em! Our flight leaves in two hours and I need help packing. That bitch isn't gonna pack itself."

Burying her face into the pillow, she let out another groan. Arah Kwon was the type of girl who needed three different outfit changes each day. 

But despite her high maintenance, she was a great friend. Her only friend all throughout their high school years.

☾ ☾ ☾

Canadian air was much more crispy than New York's. Each breeze sent a shiver down Kim's spine. She should've heeded her mother's advice to wearing several layers. 

She could already feel her nose reddening at the contact with the wintry temperature.

"Oh my god, I think my ears are gonna freeze off!" A harsh shove sends Kim lurching forward as Arah brushed passed her, hurrying into the private car waiting for them. 

Taking her time, she gave a polite wave to the driver before following suit, reveling in the nice heated vehicle.

"Who the hell has a wedding in January anyways?" But Kim was too preoccupied with the sights outside as they drove to answer Arah. 

She'd never traveled this far north before. Never really left America except for the time that Arah brought her to Korea for their spring break senior year.

It took them a good chunk of time before they arrived at an estate far more extravagant than Kim has ever seen. 

Her eyes nearly popped out of their sockets at the size. Arah's home didn't even compare to the castle they pulled up to. 

"What did you say your uncle did again?"

"He's a CEO of sorts," Arah responded distractedly as she continued typing away on her phone. Completely unbothered by the manor. She'd visited her fair share.

A man with broad shoulders greeted them at the doors, arms wide as he embraced Arah's bouncing form. "Uncle James, always nice to see you again." His eyes crinkled up at the pleasantries from the typically unpleasant girl. 

"This is my friend, Kim. You remember her, right? She came to Seoul with us for spring break. She's the one who got really plastered and puked all over—"

"Okay! That's enough of that!" Kim was quick to cover her friend's mouth in an attempt to forget about the horrific time. 

But Uncle James just chuckled at the memory, ushering them towards the door. "Lets just get you both inside where it's warm."