Chapter 165 - Improve yourself and let us compete

There were two figures standing in a wasteland some distance away from the Majin nation, a dangerous region where Rank 5 monsters roamed, a place the average adventurer wouldn't survive a single hour.

"GAAAAAH!"

"UOOOOH!"

The 'Sword King' Borkus raised his black greatsword into the air. Vigaro, the four-armed Ghoul, let out the roar of a lion as he swung his axe sideways.

The air vibrated as the two weapons collided, the shockwave shaking the boulders nearby as if they were flimsy toys. Even monsters that were normally ferocious had fled like mice in fear of these two.

"You've grown stronger, haven't you, Vigaro! Not as strong as me, though!" Borkus shouted, a provocation mixed in with his words of praise.

Neither of them showed any killing intent. But Borkus had accepted Vigaro's request of a match with the same spirit and equipment as a real battle.

Vigaro frowned and let out a low growl. "It does seem that my skill isn't as great as yours yet."

His combat ability had clearly increased. When Vigaro and Borkus first met, Vigaro was far below Borkus, completely unable to defeat him unless Borkus was taken completely by surprise. Even with only a single arm and a sword with only the handle remaining, Borkus would certainly have defeated Vigaro in a battle.

But in Talosheim, he had acquired a Job and gained strength rapidly.

I have the superior Attribute Values, but the difference isn't great enough for the match to be decided by that alone. Jeez, these members of Vida's races that have Ranks get stronger twice as fast as everyone else, Borkus thought.

When members of Vida's races like Ghouls and Vampires that possessed Ranks gained Jobs, their Job Levels and their Monster Levels increased at the same time, so they developed more quickly than humans or monsters. Borkus learned of this from watching the development of Vigaro and the other Ghouls.

... They didn't stand out much compared to the Dhampir who was developing at a steep diagonal angle away from common sense, however.

"But I received guidance! I received advice from a strangely tall, skinny Vandalieu that appeared in my dreams!" Vigaro exclaimed.

"... I've said this a few times, but are you sure that wasn't just a dream?" said Borkus.

"Honestly, I sometimes think that might be the case. But thanks to that dream, I've mastered it!"

The tension in the air had loosened for a moment, but now, it returned again in an instant.

"So, you did awaken your superior Skill! Alright, I'll put it to the test!" Borkus declared.

"Yeah, I'll show you my power now that I've gained what I was lacking!" Vigaro roared.

He normally wielded three battleaxes and a shield, but now, he threw his shield into the air over his head.

"Huh?"

For a moment, Borkus thought that Vigaro was just making a show of throwing away his defense to devote himself entirely to attacking, but he raised his greatsword nonetheless, not letting his guard down.

And then he saw a fifth arm silently extend from Vigaro's back and snatch the shield out of the air.

"... Huh?!"

"Here I come!" Vigaro roared.

"Wha –?! Wait, what the hell is that you just grew from your back?!" Borkus shouted, his discomposure clear.