2. Millennial Zombies of a Millennial World

Out of all the reactions he expected from himself, embarrassment was the last of them.

Within a single second of staring at that creature down the road, Jungkook was transported back in time to when he was in eighth grade, agitatedly scratching the wood of his study table as he struggled to develop the plotline for his English story writing assignment. He had come up with a fantasy zombie apocalypse (unsurprisingly, thanks to movie marathons that included his favorite, Zombieland), and put in extra effort to make his zombie the walking manifestation of everything dirty and disgusting. He even named it Maximilian the Hundred and Fourth, describing in detail its drying, stiffened skin that was pale as paper, its groping hands and gnashing jaw, blood-stained teeth and bloodshot eyes, the joints of its arms and legs that poked out at absurd angles, and the numerous bullet-holes marring its tattered old coat.

Having created that zombie was one of his few life accomplishments Jungkook recalled with pride. Glimpsing this modern, millennial zombie, however, crushed his self-esteem to pieces.

Although a mile of distance separated the two, Jungkook could make out – by the skull size and body proportions – that the creature was a man (if only there existed sexes amongst zombies, of course). He was of average height with a wide girth, his attire comprising of faded, baggy jeans, a brown sweater whose sleeves were rolled up to his elbows and old, white sports shoes. The exposed skin of his arms and face was horrifyingly distinct, a pale greyish-green in colour with dark red, veiny streaks covering the expanse of his forehead. Slowly, he inched closer to the pair of boys across the street, his movement fluid and steady like any normal human.

Jungkook sent a virtual eye-roll to his younger self.

Seokjin pulled at his sleeve. "Tell me this is a nightmare and that we're not going to die in two minutes."

Jungkook was dumbfounded, awestruck, as the creature walked towards them. Had it not been for the pale green, veiny skin and the rotting-meat smell that had begun to cloud the air, he would've passed as a normal pedestrian on a night stroll.

"Jungkook," Seokjin hissed, pulling him back by the elbow, fear evident in his tone. "This is the worst of all times to freeze. Do something – it's closing in on us – it's holy hell."

Now that the zombie was nearer, Jungkook could decipher his face – head bald and smooth as an eggshell, button nose and receding chin, almond-shaped, snake-like eyes. The veiny red streaks began at his temples, and ran across his forehead like thorny vines.

"Jungkook, t-that's enough," Jin squeaked, dragging him back. "That's it. You'll have enough time to admire its beauty later. We're done for – we need to run – for the love of all things good WE NEED TO RUN!"

Jungkook finally returned to his senses as he heard Seokjin's feet break into a sprint, dragging him along. The rotting smell had now grown unbearable, making it difficult for him to breathe. When the zombie was a mere five meters away, Jungkook at last felt the ice melt from his bones, adrenaline surging through his veins in a strict command of run, and he willed his limbs into action.

Wind slapped against his face as he ran down the streets, the thumping of his feet in sync with that of Seokjin's, who was a few steps ahead of him. A third pair of footsteps followed closely behind, slow yet constant as the ticking of a humungous clock. All questions of what, how, where, when fled his mind as the simple need to survive overpowered all other thoughts, urging his legs to run faster, faster, keep going, never stop.

Jungkook flicked his head behind to get the slightest estimate of how far he was from death.

Big mistake.