14. The Strife-Torn Land

"What the hell?"

Jimin was the first to react, standing up with such force that his chair fell backwards on the ground. All exhaustion vanished from his face in an instant when he brought his walkie-talkie to his lips.

"BASE to Special operations third cohort. Report to roundabout immediately. Clear."

Without a word, the Junior Superintendent rounded the table and ran towards the source of the commotion. Petra, Jungkook, Namjoon and hundred others watched, as from high up in the sky at a distance, over a dozen helicopters descended to the ground. They lifted their arms to shield their eyes as dust swirled from the ground and the copter rotors roared to a stop. Police officers stood outside their cars whose emergency lights blared red and blue. At the forefront, with a black revolver pointed precisely at the hoard of alien helicopters, Jimin stood with his feet splayed apart in a vigilant stance.

The door of the first helicopter clicked open, an out stepped a figure with pale, sickly green skin.

Petra's knees buckled. "The Aenigmuus."

The door to the second helicopter was thrown open, then the third, fourth and fifth, and soon an entire coalition of Aenigmi was stomping its way towards them.

Even from such a distance, Petra could feel the nerves of the policemen tingling, could imagine the solitary drops of perspiration trickling down their foreheads.

The helicopters had landed a good half mile before the public square right in the middle of the concrete roads, lined in a single file one after the other. Their restaurant was placed at a height that enabled them to see the throng of Aenigmi – all dressed in clothes starkly familiar to their own, if not heavily tattered and greased – that marched towards them like they were ordinary pedestrians walking into the market place for shopping. Petra realized something with a sickening jolt that had her gripping the corner of the table.

"They're people."

"Yes," Namjoon replied after a second's pause, his voice not above a whisper. "All the ones that were kidnapped."

Jimin seemed to have acknowledged the same fact, for his booming voice reached them over the dead silence of the streets.

"Do not shoot," he told his fellow fighters without turning to look at them, his gun still raised steadily parallel to the ground. "They are our citizens. I repeat, do not shoot unless I command."

The Aenigmi, seemingly unaffected by the myriad of lethal weapons aimed at their chests, continued their way down the streets, slowly approaching the armed policemen.

The armed men, however, seemed to be growing tense despite their leader's clear orders. They fidgeted from time to time, their fingers inching to pull the trigger and end it once and for all. But Inspector Park stood his ground, still as a statue.

As the Aenigmi broke through the first line of policemen, everyone screamed.

"DO NOT SHOOT!" Jimin's voice boomed even over the cries of the weaponless public. "INJURE, BUT DO NOT SHOOT!"

The officers formed a barrier and attempted to push back the approaching line of Aenigmi just as the civilians ran hither and thither, yelling on the tops of their lungs for help.

Pairs of Aenigmi managed to break through the retaliating forces and broke into a run towards the market place, picking up whatever or whoever they found in their path and throwing it around.

"Take cover!" Jungkook yelled, grabbing Petra's hand and ducking under the table just as the pole of a street light fell feet away from them. After a few seconds the three emerged from their hiding place and ran in any direction that wasn't teeming with chaotic zombies, keeping low all the way.