Apples

Your eyes stung. Not only because you just came from the darkness below deck, your just not used to be outside on the bright deck. Of course not. You're far from allowed to. An horrifying feeling appears and reach your stomach. "I'm not in the captains quarters". "He will find out". "I... I can't... I will be in so much trouble...".

To your relief. The deck is silent. Empty. From the berth mumbling reach your ear. The only one outside should be the quartermaster, but he's on forecastle and steer st Mary. He won't look down on main deck unless you draw his attention. The horror slightly leaves you as you reach the door to the stern. Both a happiness and sorrow wells up in you as you realize you got to the door without suspicions.

The doorknob makes a silent click and the door slowly gets out of your way. But you don't see the room. Not the painted windows opposite you. Not the red expensive curtains. An certainly not the mahogany office table full of maps. The one place you abhor most on this ship, is the one you wish most to see. Not him. Not him standing between you and the dark room. Anyone else. But just not your fiancé.

~~~
Apples. Of all things that could generate hope to someone. Apples was enough in this case. Actually more than expected. I was prepared for worse he thought for himself. Still in surprise after the girl's approach for a few minutes ago. The apples are like shiny emeralds in the sunlight escaping through the holes. Indeed, he was starving, craving food. So this was more then the best case scenario.

He moved one of the apples to his mouth. Thought he nearly could smell it because of his desperation for food. But he could handle himself. Slowly he took a first bite. Sweetness filled the inside of his dry mouth. Sweet and sauer but probably the best thing he's ever eaten.

The sound of the apple crack from the next bite was just as satisfying as the first. He swallow and was prepared to take third marvelous pice, when a loud thud echoed from above. A silent scream. A hit. Another. Another. Repeating in different order.
Minute after minute.

The apples remain untouched. He can't reach them. The sound from before goes on in his head. He lost his appetite. He had heard that noise everyday since the day he entered the ship. Sometimes even three times a day. Normally he thought it was a drunk officer beating a poor sailor or something alike. But he heard the low scream of a girl. The girl. It became clear.
The bruises of her arms. Her to thin body. He got it. He didn't want food right now.

The days are ticking fast. He have to have a clear mind. Everything is going right. He can't get distracted. But still he can't seem to let go the thought of the girl.

~~~

"You're outside?"
"I needed some air..."
"Why are you outside?"
"I needed air as I sai..."
"You're not supposed to be outside this room"
Your lips parted to answer but couldn't since he grabbed the blue fabric on you're shoulder and threw you back in the room. Panic. I'm done. I know what will happen.
You don't manage to continue your thought when your head hits a furniture. You scream. The pain is overwhelming. Steps reach you. A pair of boots is in front of you. Without even opening your eyes you know, just can't open them. But that's not terrifying. No. That part is about to start now. He inhales. The you feel the booth in your chest. Another one. And another one.