I Hate My Life

"Of course I broke up with her. What, am I just gonna be like 'hey I'm gay but I still wanna date you?'" I rolled my eyes.

"I don't know how gay breakups work." Marsh laughed a little. "Look, I'm sure everything will be fine between you two, she's just gonna need a couple days to wrap her head around everything."

"I hope you're right." The bus pulled up in front of us. We both climbed on and, to my horror, heard a voice I knew. 

"Max! Come sit next to me!" Kendall was beaming. Marsh and I glanced at each other, but I walked to her anyway. 

"Hey, Ken." I sat next to her, but left enough room between us so that we weren't touching. 

"Oh, come on! You can get closer to me." She wrapped her arm around my shoulder and pulled me closer to her. 

"So, there's no hard feelings?"

"What, for last night? That's what I wanted to talk to you about!"

"Excuse me?" 

"Well, we both know you don't want anyone else knowing about your little attraction, and I'd rather not be the only one of my friends without a boyfriend, so..."

"Are you blackmailing me into dating you?" I narrowed my eyes. 

"Not exactly."

"Then what is this?" 

"Just my proposition. Unless you want everyone to know your vicious little secret." 

"You're despicable." 

"Oh, thank you!" 

"Fine. Just keep this to yourself. No one has to know, and I'll pretend to keep dating you."

"Oh there's no pretending here, baby."

"Fine! Just, only in school." 

"And on the weekends." Kendall placed a forced kiss on my cheek.