Chapter 8 (River)

^^^Karena(Oasis)^^^

River let me go for a walk with him instead of staying in the tent alone. He went for one every night and every night I asked to come along he said yes. We would walk past the trees and bush along paths he said he cleared himself. He was such a nice, polite yet intimidating man. He told me about his woman that he is going to ask to marry and I can't wait to meet her. I told him that I had no where to go since my parents were dead so he suggested I stay here and help out which I do not mind at all.

I've gotten new clothes and am about to be allowed in their town. We stayed 7 days here and I got to know him quite a bit. I hope I don't get sent to far away from him he's super nice and I don't know anybody. I find myself thinking very highly of him in this week that we've spent together. I think to myself... Am I finally free of Demetrio?

I'm sitting outside thinking and start to acknowledge how hot my skin is and how drained I feel. While thinking of these things, Hulu pops up, I didn't see him coming so he stunned me a little. "Good day. Where is River?" He said. I pointed towards the forest and he nodded asking "You ready to go now?"

"Yes" I said getting up and walking towards him. I felt dizzy when getting up and almost dropped back but Hulu grabbed hold of my arm. 

"You okay there?" he said receiving a slight nod back from me we walked together in the woods and kept small chat. I asked him if he was married and he told me yes with a child and another on the way. I got a little saddened when he mentioned children but still kept a smile on. 

"Hulu?" I heard River say walking towards us from the stream.

"We are ready to bring you back in Chief" said Hulu.

He looks so militant with complete diligence and respect. He seemed like such a gentleman. So did Demetrio though.

I shake the thought out of my mind and notice them both staring at me.

"What?" I said shyly.

"Ready?" River said now walking past me alongside Hulu.

I speedily walked trying to catch up with him and his friend but my short legs struggled to keep up.

After walking for what felt like forever but was only about 20 minutes, I started to see people and tee pee's... then further in, houses and empty lots. This looks a lot different than what I'm used to seeing. We walked right through the small town where I got a lot of stares, some glares but did not want to seem weak or intimidated so either avoided eye contact and shot some a faint smile. 

"What are you doing?" I heard River say as I looked forward stopping myself from bumping into him.

"What?" I said a little annoyed that he startled me.

He shook his head, sighed reaching out his hand on my back gently pushing me forward as to signal hurry up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey you have longhouses!!!" I said in excitement as we approached them. "How exciting I've never seen one up close!!" 

Realizing I was getting no response I looked over at them staring at me.

"What?" I asked once again earning no response but smiles as they walked inside, Hulu holding the door opened and signaling for me to come inside with them. I quickly followed. "How exciting!!" I said again as the door closed behind us.

Shenandoah's POV

After 7 days of an absent River all I got was a head nod from him walking right past me. 

Who is this girl they have and why am I jealous? 

I was currently feeling really bad about myself. I miss his face so much and want to spend time with him. I had to be patient, he is busy considering he missed a week of duty.

Nampeyo comes running towards me. "That girl just went into the longhouse with chief and command" she said gasping for air. 

Now I was upset. I can't even go in there and yet she's in there with them. There must be a logical explanation for this I think calming myself down instantly as to not do or say anything that can get back to River, making me look insecure or jealous. He doesn't like that at all and has refused to court in the past because of women acting like that. I refuse to upset him in those ways, that's my husband to be.

Nampeyo is a great woman who does her duties rightfully, she is very curious you could say, well informed and likes to share that information.

I just want to see River.

Karena's POV

River told be to make myself comfortable in what I assume is his room while he went into the room across from this one with Hulu and 2 other men. I went and sat on the chair which was facing the opened door. I could see River in the next room talking and occasionally looking over my way.  He eventually shut the door I guess not wanting me to hear what they were saying even though they were speaking another language. I turned to look around the room before getting up and walking towards a painting that was on the other end of the room. It caught my attention seeing it was beautiful and stood out from all others. 

I thought  back on when I used to draw

I thought  back on when I used to draw. I wasn't the greatest but I liked to draw wildlife, woods and gardens, flowers and lakes. I miss that creative side of me. 

My thoughts were interrupted when the door slammed shut startling me. I turn around to a River who now looked upset. "Are you okay?" I asked getting no reply but a simple "Your not allowed over there, come back here please." 

"But I was jus.."

"Come over here right now" he said in a slightly higher tone giving me a flash back of my first time with Demetrio while my breathing intensified.

I guess he realized because his face expression softened and he reached out his hand saying "I'm not going to hurt you, I need you to come over here so we can talk."

I controlled my breath, standing with my hand on my stomach and my head down. A minute later after calming a bit I looked back up at him still standing with his hand out.. I walked over to him cautiously making it known that I'm hesitant.