Chapter 16 (Regrets?)

River's POV

I don't know what came over me but seeing Oasis having such a good time with another man made me angry. Not just any man but my second in command.

She's always in my head and it's frustrating me. Here on the night of my ceremony i'm thinking about and looking for Oasis instead of consummating my marriage with Shen. I sent her home telling her I have a lot of things to get done. I told her in order for me to be able to take the week off with her I needed to get these things done which was partially true. I'm doing such a dishonor to not only me but everyone with my lack of self control. I can't help it as I push the thoughts out of my mind staring Oasis directly in the eyes waiting for a response.

"Answer me!" I say making her then surprised look turn into a scowl.

"At YOUR celebration." she said walking past me and into her room. I followed behind her not wanting to accept that response.

"With who?" I say knowing she was with Turner.

She stopped in her tracks and turned towards me. "Why does it matter?" she said to me. "I'm safe, you have people everywhere guarding so don't worry about it." She said as she proceeded to kick off her sandals.

"Why were you right outside the door? Were you just standing there the whole time?" she hissed turning to look at me.

I got caught up in her beauty once again. She's absolutely gorgeous and it's almost sickening how attracted I am to her. What is this woman doing to me?

She noticed my silence and proceeded to ask "No answer?" looking me in the eyes as she  started to unbraid her hair, breaking eye contact walking towards the bathroom. I walked up to the bathroom to see her standing in front the mirror. She let's out a sigh realizing I'm still there and unresponsive. She then attempted to walk past me, out the bathroom towards the door?

I don't know what came over me but not thinking, I reach in front the door blocking her from exiting.

"Can you move please?" she says looking up at me in frustration, but all I do is say "please" causing her to put her hands down from undoing her hair to her sides. She turns away from me but I reach out and gently grip her chin to direct her to look me in the eyes. I let go quickly realizing that I'm becoming to eager. She looks a little thrown off but says nothing while keeping eye contact.

I let out a sigh before turning and walking towards the chair in the corner of her room.

"I'm sorry." I say sitting down, resting my forearms on my thighs and putting my head down.

I'm exhausted. Every night its hard to sleep. Wondering about the town, Shen, Oasis. uhhhh......... I need time away with Shen... I'm distracted and confused.

I look up and she's there standing in the same place I left her by the bathroom, staring down at the ground.

Silence takes over the room for moments as neither of us move.

2 minutes later......

She looks back up at me taking a deep breath before saying "You should get some sleep. Your celebration is far from over and you need to be well rested." She, was slowly walking towards me while I got up from the chair.

Face to face we are now. After a moment of staring she puts her hand on my shoulder then nudges me towards the door causing her and I both to let out a little chuckle at the gesture.

"You kicking me out" I say causing her to chuckle too. I let her guide me to the door but then turned to look her in the eyes again. She kept my gaze and I leaned it. She didn't allow it and turned her head to the side. Standing in my own disappointment she she took me out of my thoughts, raising her hand and cupping my cheek, kisses it  then leans towards my ear and whispers saying "take care of your wife." I managed to turn and gently kiss her hand before she pulled it away, heading back towards the bathroom, she shut the door behind her leaving me standing there. After a brief moment of gathering myself together I left and went to my room more torn than before thinking of the soft lips that kissed my cheek. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another sleepless night I think to myself as I took a shower and get ready for my day. Thinking about my tasks, wife, still with Oasis on my mind but I fight and try to push the thoughts of her out. There are a few things I need to take care of before hand which is discussing my leave for a week and Hulu's tasks for those days. I want the celebration to end today, I need to get space away from Oasis. I need space and alone time with my wife and cutting the celebration short will allow that. 

I head straight to the meeting room where a few of my soldiers stood including Turner. I hand all the tasks out for the day all the while holding myself back from confronting Turner. About what? He didn't do anything wrong. He didn't and couldn't have possibly known there would ever have been anything between me and Oasis. I'm an old man compared to him. They are closer in age and seem to get along well. He may be able to help her, balance her, he has no baggage. So why am I so bothered by these thoughts?

"You okay Chief?" I hear him say. It annoyed me being so emotional.

"I'm fine." I say earning a nod from him. 

We continued to sort things out and when Hulu came, I dismissed everyone and started to discuss the arrangements for the week. 

Hulu staring straight at me waiting for me to finish before saying, "I heard you last night bro. You and Oasis, we both heard you." I sighed as he continued... "What is going on with you? You have a wife waiting for you yet your here so concerned over another woman. What is really going on River? Talk to me." he says standing quiet, arms crossed, waiting for a response.

I couldn't give him any reason though. I didn't understand it myself. What was wrong with me and why was I behaving this way? Irrational?

"Your family has an excellent reputation River. Do not jeopardize it. If you want you know you can marry her too but do things in order. Your forefathers set those laws so honor them." he says walking out the room leaving me there.

This had me thinking a lot about these last few weeks. I can't keep pushing Shenandoah to the side and worrying about Oasis's every move. I can't stop thinking about Oasis though I've tried every day. It seems to always be short lived before I'm back in her presence seeking her attention again.

I want to marry her. I want her to be my wife and have my children. If I can get her to be mine then the problem is gone. 

Would she have me? I know this isn't everyone's lifestyle or belief but this is tradition and in my nation to have more than one wife. We in no way shape of form can love one more than the other and usually everyone is happy. We don't have many troubles with the women. 

Would Oasis go for this?

Would she be mine?