Chapter 3

School is getting harder everyday. All the teachers are telling us that making good grades could change your life. Most of my classmates don't believe them. Why would they? They have a nice house or apartment. They depend on their parents too much. They expect their good grades to come to them. On the other hand, the two or three handfuls of us care a bunch. We work hard and get good grades. I am one of them.

All the kids go to courtyard before school starts and during lunch when the weather is nice. Christina and I head over to our little friend group. Addison and Cora were sitting on the benches along with Tymeria, Sara, and Abigail.
"Hey guys, what's up?" I spoke.
"Morning Exodus," Cora gushed.
  "Um what's so funny?" Christina murmured.
   "Oh it's nothing! We just laughing 'cause Landon ran into the door after arguing with Mrs. Hanes," Addison giggled. "It was hilarous! Mrs. Hanes asked if he was ready for her math exam and he said no. So then Mrs. Hanes told him he better go on and study on in the library, but Landon refused. And so when he was walking away, glaring at her, he smacked into the courtyard door!"
   "Even Mrs. Hanes got a kick out of that," Tymeria added.
    "He deserves it. All he does during classes is giggle at the girls shoulders. Landon's such an idiot," I chuckled.

10 minutes passed before the bell rang. Everyone headed to their classes   or electives. My first class was to go to Mr. Tibbs, the 11th grade english teacher. He is probably one of my favorite teachers. Even though he is strict, he has a great sense of humor.

   Walking down to room 678, I see Mr. Tibbs standing out in the hall by his classroom. Of course out of all the days, he is wearing his grapejuice colored tux. The most ugliest thing I've seen.
   "Well good morning Exodus! It's nice  to finally see a happy face to take my exam." He teased, patting me on the back.
    "Oh don't you worry Mr. Tibbs. I am ready for your exam. Gimme all you got." I teased back.
     "Hahaha we'll see about that." He countered.
     Thankfully Cora and Tymeria were aligned near my desk. I won't have to worry about that jerk, Landon. Cora's last name starts with a W, along with Tymeria's. So they somehow got put on each of my directions.
      "Yall ready for the exam?" I whispered.
     "Heck no, girl. I forgot to study and I know for a fact I'll fail this exam." Tymeria whispered back, her hands crossed.
    "Hey don't push yourself down. Have a positive attitude and you might actually do well." I insisted.
    "Easy for you to say Exodus. Your lowest grade you ever made was a 90. You never made a grade below that." She sneered.
    I rolled my eyes and looked at Cora. She was looking at her palm for some reason.
    "Why you looking at your palm?" I urged.
   "SHHHH! They are reminders for the exam. I can't remember half of this stuff Mr. Tibbs taught us. Don't you be telling nobody. I need to study." She recalled.
"Well maybe if-"
"Good morning class!" Mr. Tibbs announced.
    "Morning." We responded.
    "As you all know, this week and next week are the end of the year exams. You should have all been prepared for them. Remember as it said on the schedule sheet, there will be one exam everyday. Today you take your homeroom's exam. But you won't take it now." He declared with his hands on his hips.
     "Yay no exams! We can talk now!" Landon yelled.
    "No, instead, the whole school will be going to the auditorium to listen to Principal Aspen speak to us." Mr. Tibbs continued.
    "Do you know what it is about?" I asked.
    "Actually, Exodus, Principal Aspen didn't tell anybody. She just told all the teachers at the staff meeting, to head down the auditorium," He responded.
    Everyone was babbling about what we were gonna here until Mr. Tibbs clapped his hands qnd whistled. So much for being a basketball coach.
   "I want everyone to head down to the auditorium now as quietly and quickly as possible. If anyone speaks, you will be sent to detention afterschool." Mr. Tibbs demanded.

   Like he said, each and everyone of us, especially Landon, walked out of the classroom. I was anxious as heck.