The Train Station

Gallus had never met a pony in his life, but he had heard of two of them coming to Griffonstone. He even heard that they helped Gilda get her current job. If they preferred that instead of stealing, they must be good creatures.

Gallus could barely sleep through the excitement pulsing through him. Any life that Ponyville would provide him had to be better than this!

When the sun had barely revealed itself over the trees, Gallus got off the cement and took flight. He reached the train station in less than five minutes, grinning and waiting next to the train tracks.

He was early; of course he was early. If somebody offered you a magical ticket outside of your current living situation, would you take your time to decide?

Gallus felt the anxiety blend within his excitement, noticing Grampa Gruff's absence for the past five minutes. Perhaps the old bird was just taking his time with his cereal...

Or maybe he fell out of his chair, and broke something. What if he found a better student than Gallus? Some creature friendlier, or less anxious? What if he was stuck here, with Sheila?

"No no no no, breathe." Gallus took deep breaths. "She can't manipulate me anymore, I'm going to a much happier place."

"Yep, so ridiculously gay that these creatures shoot cotton candy rainbows out of their asses."

Gallus looked behind him, and saw Grampa Gruff landing on the wooden platform of the train station.

"What...are cotton candy rainbows?" Gallus asked.

"Rainbows made out of cotton candy, duh." Grampa Gruff rolled his eyes. "I guess I'm supposed to give you a brief rundown of what this Friendship baloney is going to be like. Do you know what friendship is?"

"I think so." Gallus thought of Sheila, a prickle of fear poking at him. "But I think what I experienced wasn't real friendship. She was very controlling. That's not real friendship, is it?"

"Hell no." Grampa Gruff replied. "It's the gayest shit I've ever seen, they make friendship bracelets, cookies, and sing under the rainbow. I...I think, I'm mostly recounting Gilda's experience last time she went there. I suppose she didn't like it all that much."

"Oh, why's that?" Gallus asked.

"Something about being harassed by multiple ponies at a party, to the point where she had to leave." Grampa Gruff shrugged. "She seems to be on good terms with some of them now, but she doesn't plan on going back there."

"Not to mention, that pink mare told me about the time a zebra came to Ponyville! Oh goodness, the ponies would bolt into their homes!" Grampa Gruff laughed. "But this Twilight seems determined to change all this, ever since she and her friends saved Canterlot. That's what she told me, anyways."

Gallus barely heard the last thing he said, his mind racing over the fifty possible ways that Ponyville would shun him on sight. What if Twilight was the only one trying to make a change, and all the other ponies wouldn't give a shit?

"Hey, don't look so bug-eyed, alright? Twilight and her friends are the most friendly little poofballs I've ever met in my life." Grampa Gruff rubbed Gallus' head feathers. "Maybe a little too friendly, but still. They saved Equestria multiple times and shit."

Before Gallus could ask Grampa Gruff to elaborate, he saw the train arriving. The door opened, allowing a few grumpy griffons to fly out into the baked-heat of Griffonstone. Gallus felt his heart beat at the thought of leaving the heat, the emptiness, and all the griffons behind him. Hopefully for good.

Grampa Gruff and Gallus flew onto the train and sat on seats far away from each other. Gallus' heart sank a little as Grampa Gruff laid down and turned his back to him. He still had so many questions about Twilight and her friends!