Chapter 3 - Haunting Past

The car screeched as I pulled over to the side of the road and gestured for Noah to get in. I sensed his concentrated gaze on my face when I punched the accelerator a little harder than intended. He persevered with staring at me for five minutes straight without faltering in the slightest. It was very distracting.

"Can you stop staring at me?" I demanded, breaking the tranquillity. "I'm sure you can find other ways to pass the time."

"I can think of a few." He winked, his eyes leering over my semi-exposed chest. I ignored his comment and focused on the empty streets ahead. "The reason I can't stop staring is because I can't wrap my head around how my brother got a girl like you." I raised an eyebrow at him in response. 

What exactly is that supposed to mean anyway

"You're too much of a good girl and he's not into that," he answered my inner thought. 

Far out, now he's a bloody mind reader too.

"That's none of your business," I replied vexed.

"If you say so," he jeered.

"We have a terrific marriage and that's all that matters," I stated stoutly. However, he snickered in reaction.

"Girls like you are solely interested in the necessities my brother provides. There's no such thing as love or a happy marriage," He taunted as my face twisted in anger, jaw clenched, eyes akin to daggers. 

"He'll dump your ass faster than you can say, 'bye, daddy.'" He let out a high-pitched moan towards the end. My blood was boiling, he guffawed nonstop. A vein was throbbing in my temple, I began to see red. I break the car abruptly causing Noah to thwack his head into the dashboard.

"What the fuck are you doing? We're in the middle of the road," he shouted, touching the huge lump forming on his forehead.

"Now you listen here, you little shit!" I barked furiously, unable to contain the rage from surfacing. "You don't know anything about my character. You're the last person on the planet who can judge after spending five years in jail for attempting to kill someone." He bore a confused expression, watching quietly as I yelled at the top of my lungs. "How dare you try to play the moral high ground with me. Get the fuck out of my car." 

My arms crossed tenaciously, eyes glaring a hole inside his head, nostrils flared. He appeared to be astounded by my sudden outburst, his jaw moderately hung open. Subsequently, his pupils dilated, twinkling with ecstasy which followed by a broad smirk, pearly teeth shinning in the dim light.

"That was hot," he purred.

"Do I have to repeat myself?" I stood my ground, ignoring his highly deviant remark.

"I haven't been this turned on since I found that playboy under dad's bed," he muttered under his breath.

"Ew, what?" I gasped in shock, perplexed as to whether I misheard his words. Noah calmly cleared his throat, his gazed fixed on me.

"I said, why don't we get some donuts?" He asked apathetically.

"What are you on about?"

"There's this great place I've been keen on. We should drop by for an early snack." It was more of a command than an actual request. 

The guy gave me the creeps. I couldn't fathom how quickly his personality changed from being incredibly obnoxious to being pleasant. He observed my distrustful expression intently in such a way that suggested he was reading my mind. 

"Come on, what do ya say?" He smiled confidently, slowly running fingers through his hair.

I peered into his eyes doubtfully, struggling to decipher his true intentions. The car behind us blared their horn, a middle-aged man shouted out of his window "get off the fucking road, bitch"' Noah's face went from soft to emotionless in seconds. He seemed unbothered by the commotion. A part of me was intrigued, I wanted to figure out what made him tick.