Worse Than Death

"Aurors," Kingsley began in a clear, confident voice. "I have summoned you here because there is a growing threat to the welfare of the Ministry, and perhaps even the rest of the wizarding world."

A few people exhaled slightly, but to others this seemed to be old news. In fact, those who seemed the least surprised at the information seemed to be those with the most injuries: one wizard had his leg in a cast, while a witch had a huge, scabby cut slanted across her face.

"A spate of murders have occurred," Kingsley continued. "Murders that were definitely magical. Young families seem to be the target. The parents and all but one of the children are killed."

"What happens to the remaining child?" a sandy haired witch piped up.

Kingsley's face darkened. "The remaining child is left alive... but barely. By the time we find them, they have suffered something worse than death."

Murmurs rippled throughout the room, but I was getting impatient.

I stood up, ignoring the stares I attracted. "But what happens to them?"

Kingsley looked me in the eye. "They have been tortured. They are driven mad with pain, the pain of seeing their family die, the pain of being spared when those they love have not, and the pain of being taunted by the murderer. There are all beyond the point of being saved."

I sat down with a bump, the room swirling around me. That kind of torture, mental torture, could only be inflicted by one thing: the Cruciatus Curse.

I dimly registered someone behind me voicing my thoughts, and Kingsley nodded. All around me, people were asking questions, but I couldn't hear them. Kingsley was saying something, Harry was mouthing at me, but I couldn't understand them over the clamour of the alarm bells in my head, the ones that hadn't rung for two years.

Suddenly, something Kingsley said brought me back to earth and back to my usual hearing abilities that seemed to have been momentarily snatched from me.

"There has been another attack, and we are anticipating more. We need to assemble a team of aurors to head out to the scenes of the previous attacks and search for anything that might aid us. Are there any volunteers?"

Hands went up, but mine were stuck to my seat, clinging onto the edge of it.

"We also need a team to go to the scene of the latest attacks. The muggle police have been there, but there should still be evidence that we can use. Volunteers, please?"

More hands went up, including Harry's. I still couldn't move. As he left, he gave my arm an encouraging squeeze.

"You don't have to do this, you know. You are only new. No one will think less of you for staying behind."

I shook my head. "I have to do this," I murmured, more to myself than him.

There were only a few aurors left now, three witches and three wizards, all older than me by at least ten years. I guessed that they were the oldest and most experienced aurors, and butterflies started twisting my stomach into a tight knot. Maybe Harry was right. I was only new, after all. Who would blame me for backing out?

I threw out the idea as soon as I thought of it. This was what I wanted to do. I knew the risks. Besides, I was a born auror. I didn't need years of work behind me to prove myself.

Kingsley approached us and drew up a chair. It was clear he had something important to discuss with us, something that needed to be talked about closely.

"I'm glad to see most of our most experienced here." His eyes darted to me for a moment, before moving away again to rest on the eyes of the witch with the cut on her face. He seemed to be addressing her when he spoke, so I inferred that she was considered the leader.

"This job is dangerous. More dangerous than the others. It will almost certainly result in severe injury for some of you." Again, his eyes darted towards me.

"We need you to keep a watch. The moment another murder takes place, we need you on the scene, hopefully before the muggle police arrive. If you can either intercept the police communications, or better still, detect the use of an Unforgivable Curse, then you can be there very soon after the murder."

One of the wizards growled. Kingsley glanced up at him. "Yes?"

The wizard looked at him carefully. "That's too risky." He spoke with a tough, gravelly voice. "What if the murderer has not yet escaped when we arrive? We will be destroyed. This person is clearly powerful, and clearly evil. They will kill us in a heartbeat "

Kingsley nodded. "That is why I need you six to take care of it. I can't have mistakes, because that will cost lives."

The leading witch who he had been speaking to before spoke up. "But what about Black? Are you sure this task is suited for her?"

Eight pairs of eyes turned on me. I stared back defiantly.