chapter four

Addys POV

I woke up to an intense white light blaring in my face, as if the light itself was yelling at me. I sat up and looked around. All of the walls around me were completely white, and there was no one else here. I looked down and saw multiple tubes sticking out of my arms and one sticking out of my hand. There was another tube coming out of my head which looked like it was draining blood. I began to panic and my skin started to burn, all of the tubes shot out of my body and the holes closed up. I was hyperventilating. I tried to jump out of the bed but my legs got caught in the sheets, making me fall off the bed and right onto my side. The first thing I noticed when I hit the ground was a pressure on my wrist. I lifted my arms up and saw a metal band around each wrist. I lifted my ankles into the air and saw there was also a mental band around each ankle, as well as one strapped around my neck. I tried tugging at one of my wrists but the bands wouldn't budge.

Where the fuck am I?

I saw a door across the room from me and jumped up off the ground, running over to it. Just as I was about to push the door open I saw through the window that three people were over to the room I was in. One was a man in a white coat whom I had never seen before. The other was a young boy who looked my age who I had also never seen before, and the third I recognized as the red haired lady from the forest, only now she wasn't wearing the suit she had before, she had on black yoga pants and a white tee shirt. She was allowed to remover her suit? I cocked my head in confusion before looking around for another escape route.

I backed away from the door and went over to the only window in the room and tried to pry it open. When that didn't work, I took a step back and held my hands out. I felt the power deep into my arms and down to my hands, but once it reached my wrists my arm started to burn in a pain more intense than I'd ever felt before in my life. I fell to the ground and pulled my legs up into a fetal position, pushing myself behind the bed so no one could see me. I rocked back and forth and squeezed my eyes shut while I heard the door open and laughter fill the room. It fell silent just as quickly, and I heard something hit the ground. "Where is she?" I heard a voice ask, and recognized it as the voice of the red figure. That must be the boy. I pulled my knees closer to my chest and backed up into the wall. I strained as hard as I could to use my powers, but the pain became unbearable and I stopped attempting. I heard footsteps coming towards me and saw the woman's feet, which were bare, her toenails painted a pure white. She grabbed a metal bar above the window and twisted it, the window fell open and she peered outside.

"I don't see her." She said in confusion. As she started turning around, she spotted me hiding on the other side of the bed and laughed. I grimaced. "Did you really think we wouldn't find you there?" She asked and held out her hand to help me up. I pushed her hand away and stood up on my own. "Why am I here? What do you want with me?" I asked nervously.

The woman's expression became serious. "Listen, Adair. We're not going to hurt you." She sat on the bed and glanced at the boys. The young man sat in a chair next to the bed, and the older man picked a clipboard up off the ground, dusting off his white coat and clearing his throat. "You has a chip in your brain." He said, sounding incredibly nervous. He gulped and made eye contact with the woman who nodded reassuringly.

I nodded too, "Yes. It's a tracking chip, so The Doctor doesn't lose me. He doesn't want to lose me, because he loves me." I said while making direct eye contact with the red haired lady. She furrowed her eyebrows and leaned forward a bit. The man continued. "No, Addy. That's not what it was. It was placed in your frontal lobe. Meaning he had complete control over your feelings, emotions, decisions. It was an override. That's what happened when you passed out. I shook my head. No, that couldn't be true. That's not what The Doctor said.

"No." I said sternly. "That's not right, he put it there so he doesn't lose me." My voice was losing its confidence and I looked back at the woman. "I told you, he loves me." The woman nodded and cleared her throats. She looked down at the bed for a moment and then back up, glancing between the two men.

"Boys, why don't you let me and Adair talk for a bit. Girl to girl." She asserted. Her and the older man shared a look and they both left, leaving me and the woman alone now. "If you don't remember, I'm Natasha." She said. "But you can call me Nat if you want to." I nodded. She smiled a bit and cleared her throat again.

"So, Addy. The place your in is called the Avengers tower. The Avengers are known as the planets mightiest hero's, we-" I cut her off, "I know who you are." I lied and glared a bit, I didn't want her thinking I was an idiot. Even though I had been locked in that base most of my life, so I didn't know much about the outside world.

"Well." She continued. "All of us live here. There's me, Natasha. The public called me Black Widow. The man with the glasses who was in here earlier is names Bruce. You'll also know him as the big green guy. The boy you saw is Peter, he gave himself the name 'Spider-Man'.

I cut her off again. "So two of you are named after spiders?" She looked confused for a minute and made an 'O' with her mouth. "I guess so." She laughed and I nodded.

"Anyways. There's our team leader, Steve. You'll know him as Captain America." I nodded, I actually did know that guy. "There's Tony, also known as Iron Man. He kind of runs the place, but we all pretend he doesn't." She smiled again. "Your siblings also live here. They like to keep their identities more of a secret, like Peter. They were given the aliases 'Scarlet Witch' and 'Quick Silver'" I nodded "that's fitting." I said sarcastically and Natasha laughed again.

"The only other person you'll need to know about is Vision. You'll know him when you see him." She paused, "There's another man who helps us out sometimes, Thor. He's never around, he lives kinda far away." I continued nodding, god I felt like a fucking bobble head.

She scooted a little closer to me. "Addy," she started

"The agents at the base used to call me Macaria." I said, if we were all sharing or made up names I might as well too.

Natasha nodded and went on with what she was going to say. "Listen, we want to help you. Two years ago, our team was sent to your base to steal a scepter which we did successfully. But we ended up picking up some extra cargo- your siblings. They were sent out to fights us off, but we took them in. They had one condition when they agreed to join our team- that we go back for you. Your brother and sister care about you a lot, Addy. More than you know. And I'm so sorry we couldn't come sooner." I nodded and she continued "Now, it's very important you tell us about The Doctor and what he's been working on the past two years. Earlier you mentioned something about him, and I need to know, what exactly was your relationship with The Doctor?"

I gulped. "He was, um, like a father to me. I guess. He told me and the twins that he loved us, like we were his kids. When he got older, he said that wasn't true anymore. I wasn't his daughter anymore." I felt myself start to tear up

Natasha pulled her eyebrows together and placed her hand on my leg. "What happened with you guys?"

I decided to just say it. Maybe it was because the chip wasn't in my head anymore, or maybe I was over tired, but somehow I was able to. I told Natasha everything about what happened between me and The Doctor. How once I was older, I had to be his companion. How he would call me down to his quarters, then send me back to my cell. By the end of it she was silently crying, but my eyes were dry. I felt numb to it all.

Natasha seemed to know exactly what to say, not 'I'm sorry' or 'that's awful', no, she knew that wouldn't help or change anything. Instead she grabbed my hand, and looked directly into my eyes.

"Let's get some food in you, kid." She said with a soft smile which I gladly returned.

"Ok."