Chapter 1 - Tina Returns

"Oh my teeny Tina, you're home!" Before I even half way made it through the door of my family's restaurant, my mom, Linda Belcher, rushed me and gave me one of her famous hugs. And, within the same breath, she exclaimed, "Don't worry Tina, college isn't for everyone. Sometimes, you have to come home and try something different." Still the sweetest mom on the planet, her hair never grayed thanks to Ginger. But, the fine lines on her face were more pronounced. 

Dad finally changed the color of the stools and booths, a pretty meadow green. A stark change from the red that was here when I left for college when I was 19. They had closed the restaurant for my homecoming, but I am not feeling very excited to be back. I left for college, trying to get a degree to be a veterinarian, instead, I am coming home without even an associates degree, and plenty of debt. I just didn't have the drive to complete college, and ended up working as a waitress trying to get by to afford my apartment. Dad suggested I come home and just work for the family again. I was not on board, until I got a job offer from Mr. Fischoeder, who was now not just a landlord, but also a close friend of the family. So, I will be working for him on ride repair, with Teddy during the week, and working on the weekends at the family at the restaurant. 

My dad, Bob Belcher, then came from the kitchen area to the front, speaking to someone. He hadn't aged too much, some wispy greys in his mustache and hair. Somehow he has managed to keep a bald spot from growing anymore than when I was a kid. He sounded like he was trying to explain why it was so bad that the oven got left on overnight, when I recognized Louise's eye roll and huff. What a young women she had grown into. Her slender figure, and tanned skin were highlighted by her long black hair swept up into a ponytail. She got a lot taller, but not by much. She was about the same height as mom now. I won't lie, I am a little jealous. I ended up a little curvier and as tall as dad, I got a more stylish pair of glasses, sometimes wearing contacts, and let my hair grow out, but Louise is definitely the pretty one.

"Oh, hey Tina. Welcome back to the hell-hole." Louise chimed in an unenthusiastic tone, breezing past dad who got a quick, "We aren't done with this conversation." as she did so.

Dad also then walked over and patted me on the shoulder, with a firm welcome home, in the gruff voice I was used too. Never an emotional man, I think that's why him and mom always go on so well. The three of them went their separate ways to begin getting ready for the dinner rush.

I slid onto one of the stools at the counter, waiting for Teddy who was eager to say "hello" and start training me right away on maintenance tasks I will be assisting him with. As I was waiting for  him, I looked across the street, "Jimmy Pesto's & Sons" up in lights. I looked through their windows and saw Andy and Ollie busing tables, preparing for the dinner rush like my dad was. It's hard to believe how much they have grown from the two little weirdos I remember as kids. They were men, strawberry hair, tall and muscular. That's when I saw him, and I perked my head up. The one. The only. Jimmy Jr.

I hadn't seen him since we broke up at the end of high school senior year. I had found out he had been making out with Tammy Larson behind the football bleachers in between his theater practice and dance practice instead of studying like he said he was. I suppose one shouldn't still be bitter, as that was high school. I had pined after him for years, through middle school, on-and-off dating. When it was finally official, he treated me unbelievably disrespectfully. All things come to an end, right? It was no different then when he put another girls photo in the frame I made him. 

As he got closer to the window, I felt my face get red, and my heart pound. His chin was chiseled, a small amount of scruff mid night shadow as a beard. He wore a white collared shirt and slacks, showing off how unbelievably fit he still was. I could see age in his blue eyes though. His father's death had been hard on him, and with his mom still bouncing around with new boyfriends, he had to drop out of college and help run his family's restaurant with his brothers. Trev was still there, but he didn't speak much after Jimmy Sr. passed away. He quietly just tends the bar.

He must have noticed me looking over, he waved with a half smirk. Turning, he said something to Andy and Ollie, then came out his restaurants front door. He came through Bob's Burgers door, and said "Hey Tina."

"Hey Jimmy Jr." My mom chimed in from the back, sticking her head through the order window.  "Nice to see you Mrs. B" He responded in his deep, very slightly impeded voice. He was able to work through his speech impediment after middle school, but it never went completely away.

"So, hey Jimmy. How have you been?"  I asked as he sat on a stool, leaving one in between us. 

"Things are alright, business has it's up and downs. You look great. Are you home now because you finished college?" I got flustered at the question. I was so embarrassed I didn't get at least my associates degree. 

"No," I responded, "I came home because Teddy needed a hand at Wonder Wharf, and mom and dad needed me here on the weekends." It was the best excuse I could think of. The truth was Teddy is going to pay me better than when I worked as a waitress, so I will be able to maintain my apartment. 

"That's a nice gesture. We should catch up sometime. Do you want to get a coffee with me on Saturday morning before I open? You could come over to Pesto's and I'll make us some espressos."

"Sure, why not?" I responded, feeling my heart beat faster. Before he could get another word out, Ollie poked his head into the front door.

"James, the stove won't light, and Andy got his hand stuck in the ice cream machine, again."

Jimmy signed, nodding his head, looking back over to me. "So, Saturday then?" He asked, standing up. I had forgotten he had started going by James after his dad died. He extended his hand to me, which I grasped to shake with my own. His hand was warm, but soft. He shook my hand firmly, then with a wave he was out the door. I was a little stunned. He was so mature, and manly. I wave swept over me, as my heart pounded in my chest.

"Jeez Tina, it's like you're 13 again." Louise jeered, which made me pop back to attention, looking at her. She leaned on a booth, wiping her hands with a dish towel. 

"No way, we're just having coffee. Coffee, that's it." I stammered. 

"Uh-huh." She continued. My cheeks started to feel hot, when the door chimed and a familiar voice rang through the restaurant. 

"Hello Belcher Family!"  I looked over to see Teddy standing there gleefully. He had gotten a little thin. He was now in remission from having cancer for the last two years. He was healthier now, but thinner, and eyes more sunken. He hadn't aged well. I don't think his daily burger and fries helped. 

"Oh, hey Teddy," Louise responded, "Your usual to-go so you can take smitten-hips over here to work?"

"Huh?" He responded confused. 

"Nothing, nothing! I'll meet you at the truck Teddy." I rushed out of the restaurant to his work truck. I sat in the front driver's seat looking at my phone, I pulled from my pocket. The screen was empty but I was trying to calm my nerves. Why was I getting worked up over Jimmy Jr.?  All he ever did was hurt me over-and-over again. He seemed so different now, though. His eyes were soulful and his butt, oh my God.. some things never change. He was so handsome, and his hand was so warm. I need to put my irrational feelings aside and get into a working head space. I needed to pay my bills, and working with Teddy is the only way right now. Teddy hopped into the  trucks driver seat and we were on our way.