kiwi [5]

Sana stared at her mother and grandmother, framed in the open doorway, and tried not to panic. How long would it take those eyes to notice the baby bulge under the baggy sweater?

Second-guessing herself served no good. Sana needed to focus on how to best handle the moment, which began with gauging her grandma's current mood.

As she struggled for what to say, Dahyun stepped forward and bowed. "Hello, I'm Kim Dahyun."

"Dahyun? Are you the musician?" Sana's grandma said.

Her smile tightened but didn't disappear. "That's right, ma'am."

"Oh, no need to call me ma'am." The grandmother took her arm and hauled her into the apartment. "Call me Granny, dear."

What the hell?

Sana been so freaked out worrying that her grandmother would learn about the baby—only to be ignored completely. But then, Dahyun represented everything her mother and grandmother wanted in a daughter-in-law. Sana followed them inside, closing the door behind her.

Her mother's laugh bounced around in the vaulted ceiling. Her mom had many wonderful qualities, and she could certainly be charming when she wanted.

Sana inched her purse around over her stomach and followed Dahyun and her grandma deeper into the apartment, the pair still with their backs to her. Dahyun pulled out a chair for the two eldest women at the dining table. Odd choice, but Sana wasn't going to argue, since sitting at the wooden ice-cream-parlor-style table would conveniently hide her pregnancy.

Had Dahyun known that? A sharp and watchful edge in her eyes indicated she was very aware of everything going on around her. Realization washed over Sana. Dahyun was shielding her from her grandmother. She had maneuvered everyone so Sana's stomach was never visible, while keeping her grandmother distracted—offering to take her wrap, pulling out her chair, asking about her trip down.

Could they actually pull this off without her grandma finding out about the baby in such an explosive way tonight? It looked increasingly possible as Sana's mother seemed enraptured with asking Dahyun about her new music video they saw on TV. Neither of them spared so much as a glance across the table at Sana. Her grandma was too busy soaking up the attention to even fidget with her glasses chain dangling from her neck.

It felt good to breathe. Of course, Dahyun offered only a temporary reprieve. The news would come out soon enough, but in a more controlled setting.

Fifteen or so minutes of small talk later, Dahyun clasped the grandmother's hand. "Ma'am, it's been a delight meeting you. I hope you don't find me pushy here, but I've just gotten here to visit Sana and have to leave soon..."

"Oh, don't let me keep you two lovebirds. We will just head back to our hotel." She turned to Sana. "We will lunch together, dear. Before Takuya's wedding. The three of us, as soon your love here goes back home."

"Sure, granny. We really do need to talk."

"I know a great place with all organic foods. It'll help you with that water retention. Your face is a little puffy." Her grandma leaned close to press her cheek to Sana's. "Dahyun is a keeper. Don't mess it up, dear."

Sana secured her purse over her stomach. "Of course, granny."

Sana so didn't want to have a conversation with her grandma about finding an "acceptable catch," especially in front of Dahyun. She could even let the "puffy face" comment pass if it meant getting through this visit without a confrontation. Come to think of it, her mother too would probably see this baby as an opportunity to reel in that "catch."