XVIII

minji swirls the half melted frozen yogurt around in her paper cup.

"you didn't have to do that."

yoongi sighs, setting down his spoon.

"minji, i did it because..." he looks down at his fingers, troubled. "you, er, i...well i just...i have a—"

his sentence was cut off by the screeching of chair legs and the girl in front of him falling to the floor.

he forgets about what he was just about to confess, immediately jumping out of his seat and checking if she's alright.

"i'm okay, i'm okay, don't worry," she says, standing up and brushing herself off. "aw, my yogurt."

the colorful mess of crushed cereal and melted ice cream on the floor was immediately tended to by a staff member.

"see, remember when your teacher said not to tilt in your chair? look where that got you."

minji sighs at his scolding. "why are you always so worried about me? it's not like you're my mom or anything."

"i'm just worried about you—"

minji cuts him off with a slam of her empty cup on the table. "-worried my ass," she starts, a frighteningly fragile, yet irate expression overcoming her face. "you act all buddy-buddy with me when no one's looking, or when my mom tells you to. but when we're at school, all you do is ignore me!"

she wasn't half wrong. recently yoongi had been ignoring both jungkook and minji. not in the intention to hurt their feelings, but to save his own.

but she had taken it as him trying to save his reputation of skipping class, hanging out only with his own friends, and failing everything besides music.

"i didn't mean to ignore yo—"

"save it, please." she says, her tone pleading.

"minji. listen, i wasn't trying to avoid you..."

she casts her face away. "can i have a moment to cool off for a sec?" she gets up from her seat, facing away from him. "i'll be back in a sec."

it was the remnants of miniature puddles of tears on the flooring that made yoongi's heart drown in guilt.