Chapter twenty-four.

It had been two months now since Mark made peace with his family. He still couldn't believe how easily things had fallen into place. Over time, his mind had convinced him that his family were monsters. Time away from them did not help any and he forgot that they were only human.

Cheusi and him were coming from a counseling session from their pastor. Mark had decided to go all in if he were to be with the woman he had fallen so hopelessly for. Jo often sneaked looks of approval towards the pair when he thought they were not watching whereas James couldn't have enough of teasing Mark. All in all, everything was working out well and Mark felt that God really was doing something for him. He felt more alive and at peace, he had eventually stopped going to see Dr Kaara preferring to embrace a Christian outlook.

Mark decided to stop at a restaurant for them to have lunch before dropping Cheusi off. Their meal was uneventful but full of light conversation and a bunch of laughs. They had a special connection that allowed them to share opinions freely especially since nothing stood between them anymore. Once they were too full to have anything else, Mark cleared the bill and they left.

They were about to reach Mark's car when a voice called out to Cheusi. The two of them turned back simultaneously as if joined at the hip. Walking towards them was a young woman dressed in a long flowing buibui and a hijab covering her head. Her face held an array of emotions among them surprise and excitement. Mark's possessiveness made him wonder if she was safe to approach Cheusi or if he should be worried. His doubt was dispelled when Cheusi rushed into the lady's outstretched arms.

"Zainab!" Cheusi exclaimed hugging the other woman closely.

"Oh Cheusi. How have you been? Where have you been? I came back from the UK only to find out Aden kicked you out," Zainab said a sad look crossing her face at the last statement.

"Zainab, I have missed you. You don't know how bad it was especially after you left to study abroad. Aden was so angry because I didn't want him to marry another wife. I always thought he would be my forever. Then he started beating me up, I never thought I would make it out. And I still held on to an already broken marriage because both our religions don't allow divorce," Cheusi's voice broke.

"You should have left. But you were always the one with steadfast faith. I wonder why ma and pa failed to see this simply because you believed in a different form of religion. Aden did himself no favours for listening to their opinions and forgetting the love that brought you together," Zainab interjected fervently.

"It did turn out alright in the end. When Jo confronted Aden, he told me to leave and completed both the traditional and formal processes of divorce. I was so heartbroken for a while but then I healed with time. Now..." At this Cheusi turned to glance at Mark who stood in the sidelines not knowing what to do.

"Are you married?" Zainab asked, surprised.

"No, not yet. We are taking baby steps still. Currently, we are going through counseling with our pastor. This is Mark by the way. Mark, meet Zainab. She is Aden's younger sister and my close friend," Cheusi explained.

"Hi," Mark said shyly.

"Hi Mark. I do hope you are a better man than my brother and realise what a wonderful woman Cheusi is. Take good care of her," Zainab directed at Mark solemnly.

"I do and I will. She has already taught me to appreciate what an amazing person she is. I wouldn't hurt her if I tried," Mark replied sincerely. Cheusi ducked her head shyly at the complements thrown her way.

"Cheusi, I would like to make something clear between us. Islam isn't a religion of hate and even though your experience with it was so horrible, I do hope you know that there are some of us that hold on to the good side of it, right?"

"I know, Zainab. I know. You were always good to me. Your parents in their own twisted way were only looking out for your brother. I already forgave the wrongs done to me in their hands," Cheusi reassured Zainab pulling her into another embrace.

"So, am I allowed to be an aunt to your children?" Zainab asked allowing her hope to show on her face.

"Of course! You can see them any time," Cheusi agreed.

"Great, let's exchange numbers then so that I can call later," Zainab suggested.

Just like that the women exchanged their cellphone numbers and went their separate ways. Cheusi's face was positively beaming as she walked besides Mark to the car. She barely even noticed that Mark held the door open for her, a feat he wouldn't have gotten away with normally. Mark got behind the wheel and drove quietly towards Cheusi's place. He left Cheusi to stew in her thoughts until he couldn't rein in his curiosity anymore.

"So Zainab," he coaxed gently.

"Yes Zainab. Can you believe it? Everything is settling down. I have had questions about her since you know. And now when we are thinking to remarry she turns up. Talk of divine timing," Cheusi said happily.

"You were close," Mark's statement was not a question.

"Very. When I got married I was so hopelessly shy and quiet and she took it upon herself to ease my way into the family. She ended up being the only one on my side. Aden's other siblings chose to keep out of it saying it was not their concern. But Zainab, Andy is going to love having her back though he might barely remember her. Ann will totally love having an aunt. My two lovely kids are going to have so many aunts counting Jenny, Regina and Edith. They will be so spoiled, won't they?" Cheusi said happily. Her smile said that she didn't mind her children being a little spoiled and neither did Mark.

"They are the loveliest children ever. How could they not be when they have a mother like you? I just hope I will be able to be nearly as good a father to them," Mark concede.

"Oh, you will. I just know it," Cheusi reassured him.

A look was shared between them, a promise of love and a hope for a future together. They had come so far together and they had places to go side by side. Maybe their love story wasn't that impressive but it was a second chance at love, at life, at family and friendship and they were proud to share it with each other.

                       THE END.