27| Into the woods

Just like the tradition wanted it, the girls were the first ones to run.

The starting signal was now in less than ten minutes and Alice's palms were sweaty, her heart was beating fast in her chest, and nervousness was tightening her stomach. Already aligned on the starting line with the rest of her teammates, she was jumping on the spot and slapping her thighs to make the blood flow in her leg muscles.

The atmosphere was electric.

On the two sides, behind the rows of flags delimiting the trail, the public and male contestant were gathered, already cheering for their team. Alice spotted Megan on the left side, smiling and waving at her, standing with a group of friends as usual. On the right side, Jungkook and his coven were all talking cheerfully, and the raven-haired boy winked at her, making Alice look down at her feet.

"Five minutes before the race starts," someone said in the speakers.

The girl gritted her teeth. Somehow, having Jungkook and all of his coven witnessing her performance was stressing her even further. She felt like she had a lot to prove and didn't want them to see her fail. For an instant, Alice was tempted to use Jungkook's powers, just for the start to give her an extra boost. However she took a deep breath and rolled her shoulders back, knowing perfectly that she wouldn't do that. She wasn't a cheater.

"One minute before the race starts."

The girls around her were already in position, fists clenched, and faces determined, spikes digging deep in the humid earth and their ponytails decorated with ribbons grazing their backs. Alice joined them, right foot in front of her left, legs apart and knees bent.

Just like if you were ready to fly away.

"Three, two, one!"

The detonation was heard over the cheers of the crowd, and the race started.

Two hundred girls sprinted together to reach the forest at exactly the same time. For a moment, it was complete chaos as they pushed each other to get a head start, nudging their neighbours with their elbows and shoulders bumping into shoulders.

Alice breathed out deeply, all of her anxiety disappearing as soon as her feet started to pummel the soft ground, long controlled strides already bringing her in the front of the pack.

She avoided a girl falling face first to her left and followed the rest of the group running into the grass and making their way into the forest. At this point, she didn't hear or see anything; she was just focused on those little flags showing her the way into the dark woods.

In there, everything was muffled. The leaves were yellow, orange and brown, drawing a carpet on the ground for the runners to follow. The forest was rather young, and the trees were thin and grey, the thick layer of branches over her head hiding the sun. The coaches were right and the trail was muddy, enough for Alice to appreciate her spikes. She ran into a puddle of mud without slowing down and drops of dirty water covered her legs up to her knees, drenching her socks.

She didn't care at all however; her heart was pounding regularly in her ears, her breathing was controlled, her legs hitting the ground at a fast pace and her rhythm was perfect.

In front of her she could see the ponytails of the girls running ahead, swaying from side to side as they ran in the mud, their calves already covered in dirt. She could also feel at the back of her neck the heavy breaths of the girls just behind her, waiting for a chance to outrun her.

Not today ladies.

Alice felt good, she felt in control, so she picked up the pace a little, just enough to pass the few girls in front of her.