A Queen's Betrayal

(POV: Edgar)

In the library, I sat in my father's large armchair with a fiction novel that I wasn't even reading. Near an open window, I watched the sunrise from behind the horizon. The warm rays penetrated the starry, cloudless sky. I was stuck, and no matter how long I pondered my situation, I wasn't getting anywhere. A stack of military documents lay scattered on the black oak desk in the room's corner. The longer I waited on sending troops, the higher the chance that the uprising could figure out a way around the wall. All they had to do was search for the hidden entrance that was used for emergencies. If found, the Dove Uprising would ruin my plan and support, which I had been gathering for the last five years, on tearing down the wall.

After Credence's death, I vowed that I'd change the system. My father, the king, promised that if I could gain eighty percent of the population's approval that he would have the wall demolished. The people would still be separated, but we'd be a step closer to being equal.

A hesitant knock disturbed my momentary peace. I sighed and rubbed my hand along the back of my neck. My body was stiff, while my eyes ached. All I wanted was to crawl into my bed and sleep the day away.

"Come in," I tiredly announced in a loud voice.

The door opened, revealing a tall young officer like a giant but seemed more boy than man. He had short, cropped blonde hair and a trimmed beard was wearing a starched, dark, and vivid blue military uniform. As he was six-eight, he stooped under the doorway and saluted me before he said, "Your royal highness, Prince Edgar, the king asks for you."

"Where is his majesty, the king at?" I asked as I resisted the urge to yawn.

"In the throne room," he answered.

"I don't know you. Are you new?" I asked, glancing at the sword on his hip.

"My apologies, sir. My name is George Randy. I was promoted three days ago to Corporal."

"Congratulations. Have they have assigned you a squat yet?" I stood up and walked to the desk. I set the unread book down and sorted through the documents.

"No, sir. I was told that they placed me on reserves," he responded as he stiffly stood in the middle of the room. "If you don't mind, sir, would you allow me to speak freely?"

I found the blasted paper at the bottom of the stack. I tried not to sigh out loud because Randy shook while his eyes darted around the room. I kept my inner thoughts to myself so that he wouldn't take it the wrong way.

"Go ahead, Corporal. Speak."

Randy frowned and then said, "Sir, I know I am most likely destroying my chances with you, but I needed to say this. I am not of royal blood. I worked hard for my promotion, and my grandparents were originally Talent Trial winners. Well, I mean, I wouldn't want you to be embarrassed to be seen speaking with me."

I rubbed one of my burning eyes with my knuckles and commanded my mind to focus on the present.

"Take this," I said, handing the paper to Randy once he stepped forward.

"Sir? I don't understand. What is this?" He asked, scanning the document.

I strode around the desk and sat in the high-back chair with plump goose-down pillows. I interlaced my fingers while resting my elbows on the desk. I stared up at the new soldier that reminded me of a quivering chihuahua. I waited for him to look me in the eyes. When he didn't, I cleared my throat. Startled, his eyes flew to meet mine, and there was an embarrassing red flush covering his face.

"I gave you a re-assignment sheet. You can choose to accept my offer, Corporal. I won't force you," I advised.

Randy stood even straighter than a light post. I stilled the trembling of my lips. I refused to laugh at his nervousness. I had to remind myself to be patient with him. He didn't know that I was the heretic of the royal family.