Chapter 10: Fear

I need both arms to push the giant church door open. Its old wooden frame scrapes against the concrete floor.

There's a figure sitting in the pews. It's Jack himself. "Jack?"

"Robert," he greets with a smile.

I close the door. "I'm surprised to see you here. I thought that you would just send one of your men."

"Well, I couldn't let this golden opportunity just slip through my fingers."

"The batteries are in the truck. It's fifteen kilograms, so I'll need fifteen thousand. Let's get this over with."

"Yes, of course. My boys are on their way with your money. They should be here soon. Please take a seat." He gestures to the pew he's leaning on.

More delays? I resist the urge to sigh. "I think I'll wait outside."

"No!" he blurts out.

I let go of the door handle. What's his problem?

"I... I'm impressed that you were able to smuggle so much. I... would like to discuss some future business prospects. Are you interested in bigger jobs?"

He's nervous. Are his men stealing from my truck while I'm sitting here like a buffoon? A covert glance through a crack in the window boards assures me that the truck is safe.

"Please sit down. I insist."

Something's off about this whole thing. Wait... He called me Robert. I introduced myself to him as Anthony. Shit.

My breathing quickens. Stay calm. Stay calm. I can't let him know that I know. I just need to get out of here. "I forgot my lighter. I'll be right back." I don't smoke, but he doesn't know that.

There's a metal clunk as he drops his lighter on the pew. "You can use mine."

"I'd rather not." I grab the door handle.

"Stop!" A distinct click makes me freeze.

I slowly turn to find my worst fear revealed. He's holding a handgun, and it's pointed at my head.

"Sit. Now."

Shit. Shit. Shit. I slowly approach. The gun is trained on me. I sit on the pew, and he takes a step back to stay out of my reach. I grab my hand to stop it from shaking.

I need to talk him out of this. I need to make a deal. "Listen, Jack-"

"Shut up. I offered you a chance to talk, and you declined. Now, sit still and keep your mouth shut."

I let out a shaky breath. He's keeping me here for something... no, for someone. His men being out of town was a lie. He was just buying time.

A car's tires grind the gravel outside. Headlights shine through the door cracks.

"You pissed off the wrong person, Robert. He has a long reach and, lucky for me, deep pockets. I've got nothing against you. This is just how the world works."

Oh no. The door bursts open. "Robert, I was beginning to worry that I wouldn't see you again." I know that voice anywhere. It's Guppy.

Guppy points a gun at me, and his bodyguard hands Jack a briefcase. He opens it and checks the money inside.

"I hope we can do business again," Jack says before heading out the door, leaving me alone with Guppy and his bodyguard.

"Search him," Guppy orders.

The brute pulls me to my feet and runs his hands up and down my sides. Guppy keeps the gun trained on me the whole time. He's not taking any chances.