Chapter 12: Memories

We reach Sarah's apartment building, and she parks the car. The sun is just starting to peak over the horizon. I lift Pip off the backseat and follow Sarah up the stairs.

She unlocks the front door, and we step inside. The living-room-kitchen is lined with an old olive carpet and has patterned tiles that look like they belong in a bathroom.

She moves the clutter off the small couch. It's just big enough for Pip's small form. The bloated armrest forms a perfect pillow. I find a blanket crumpled up on the floor and use it to tuck her in.

"I'll see you in a couple hours," she yawns and heads to her bedroom.

I suppose I should get some sleep too. I hang my jacket by the door, take a quick shower and make myself comfortable on the other couch.

* * * * * * * *

A warm breeze brings me back into reality. It feels like something is breathing down my neck. I'm greeted by two huge eyes only inches away. It jerks me awake, and I jump upright on the couch. Pip scurries away behind the coffee table.

I rub my eyes, waiting for my heart rate to return to normal. I need to have a talk with her explaining the concept of personal space and the creepiness of watching people sleep.

"Master?"

"What?" I grunt.

"Oh. Um. Nothing..." She shies away.

I scratch my head. "I'm not angry. I'm just tired. What is it?"

"Um. It's tomorrow morning."

"Right." I stretch and walk over to the kitchen-side of the room.

I put some bread in the toaster. It's one of the few meals that I can make. Pip joins me by the tall kitchen counter, and we dig in.

Sarah wonders down the passage. She looks pleased when she spots her toast.

"Hi," She holds out her hand for Pip to shake. "I'm Sarah, Rob's sister."

Pip glances at me, and I give her a reassuring nod.

"Hello, ma'am. I'm Pip, Mr Robert's slave. It's nice to meet you." She puts on a nervous smile and takes her hand. I hope she doesn't tell Sarah what I do. It's a good thing that she's so reserved.

"What's your real name?" Sarah asks.

"Pip is my real name."

"That's a nickname. What's your actual name?"

"My name really is Pip. My master named me."

"But what was it before you met Rob?"

She looks at me and then at her lap. "My name is Pip. It's my only name."

"Let me try," I tell Sarah.

"What did your mother name you?" I ask Pip.

Her gaze lands on me, and she gulps. "Rebecca."

"That's a beautiful name," Sarah chimes in, "You don't have to hide it."

Pip averts her eyes.

Sarah takes out her phone and begins typing. "Let's look her up in the human database. There's a neat little tool that'll let us predict what she'll look like when she's older. We just need a picture of her parents."

"What was your full name?" I ask.

"Rebecca Finch."

"Found her," Sarah says, "but her parents aren't listed."