August 25, 1989

Dinger's POV

I woke up in my room, and walked over to Bobby's house. Last night he hit Lainie with his bike and was all... confused? I don't know. I was worried about him though. It was very unlike Bobby to act the way he was, and I hoped he'd be back to normal today so I had someone hang out with.

I walked all the way to Bobby's house, and when I got there he wasn't even home. His mom said he went to go see Ike, I don't even know an Ike and Bobby doesn't either! I mean, could you believe it? Me, Dinger Holfield, walking all the way just to get stood up by the likes of Bobby Keller? I sat down on his steps for a few minutes when I realized I could go to Hope's house. She didn't live too far away and there was no way she had any other friends yet. I stood up and started my walk towards her.

Hope's POV
I woke up to someone bouncing on my bed.

"Mom, school isn't even close to starting, let me sleep in."

"Who the hell is mom?"

I immediately sat up.

"Dinger?" I said, in more of a bewilderment than a question.

"Yes?"

"What are you doing in my room?"

"Waking you up. Duh."

"How in the world did you even get in?" I was worried he had broken a window or something stupid to come see me since Bobby was MIA.

"Your mom let me in. She loves me!"

"Makes one of us." I said, laying back down and putting my head under my pillow.

"C'mon Hope!" Dinger said, pulling the blankets off me. "I'm bored."

"Well I have a really fun game!"

"What?"

"Let Hope sleep."

"Okay, I'll just wait." He walked over to my bookshelf and pulled a book off. He sat down in my window seat and started "reading". I sighed and went back to sleep.

I woke up to the sound of music. I looked around my room, starting with my alarm clock. It was about 10:30. Wow, I slept for over 12 hours. I looked up and saw Dinger in my window seat still. "Reading" a new book.

"Sorry, it was pretty quiet, and I noticed you had the appetite for destruction album. Your taste in music doesn't suck."

"When did you get here?"

"About 8:45"

"Oh my god you're insane."

"No, I'm Dinger. Now, we have a very important day ahead of us, so get dressed."

I stayed still in my bed, wondering why he was here.
"Dinger why are you even here?"

"Well that's a pretty deep question. I mean I'm not really sure, I don't spend my time thinking about stuff like that. Life is a very confusing topic!" He lit a cigarette. "Is this okay? Eh, i guess I should've asked before lighting it." He continued to smoke. I couldn't believe he was still here.

"Well, if you want me to get changed, leave my room."

"Alright, I'm going. Dress for the weather!" He called, walking out of my room. I shook my head and walked over to my closet to get dressed.
-
Dinger knocked on my door. "Are you done yet?" I rolled my eyes, but checked the clock. I had taken about 20 minutes.

"Yes, but I still need to brush my teeth and wash my face." I said, walking out of my room. "I'll try and hurry up."

"Ugh, try harder!"

"Gee Dinger, uh, I didn't think we were that close or anything!" I giggled.

"Hey! Not what I meant and you know it!"
-
I walked out of the bathroom, and smiled at Dinger. "I'm ready."

"Finally! Do you know how long you took? I have a very important day ahead of us!" He smiled, and put his arm around my waist. He started telling me our plans and we walked down the steps together.

We started walking outside and I kinda felt bad because I honestly had no idea what we were doing. I forgot to listen to him. But it was okay, because I was involved in the conversation now, right?

"So are you excited?" He asked, smiling at me.

"Um, I dunno. I've never done this before." Wow, I'm glad I was able to come up with that.

"Oh man! You're gonna have such a grand time! Really, it's gonna be great. Bobby and I love it here. Plus, it's free!"

"Okay Dinger, calm down before you have a conniption fit." I laughed at him while he acted offended. We both knew he was fine, but he felt the constant need to be overdramatic.

"C'mon. We gonna walk a little faster if we wanna make it on time!"

"Okay okay I'm going. Why don't you have your license?"

"As a matter of fact, I do!" He said, pulling out a marvel-themed wallet. "Look at it! See, I look good too!"

"Then why are we walking, Dinger?"

"I broke my leg! I can't drive with a broken leg!"

"Okay! Good point." I was honestly getting a little tired. We had been walking for a long time. "It would've been nicer if we had just left when you came over, huh?"

"Of course it would've. But it's okay, I liked those books you had."

"I doubt you even read one page!" I pushed him a little.

"I did too! I read of mice and men, and I read when George-" I cut him off.

"Okay! Okay! Don't put me through that emotional trauma again."

"Alrighty, then don't doubt me. Y'know? Dinger Holfield, the most attractive, smart, cunning, amazing guy in the world."

I looked at him. "Uhuh. Sure."

"Anyways, we're here!"

I looked up. We were at a park. Or a botanical garden. Or something. It seemed like there had been a sign, but it got taken down or rotted away or something. There were also no people here and everything looked overgrown.

"Dinger, where are we?"

"We are at an old butterfly garden. Except nobody ever came, so now it's just a really neat overgrown place to go when you're pissed off at something."

I noticed we were kinda far away from the town.
"Does anyone else come here?"

"Not that I know of. Me and Bobby discovered it, and I feel like we're the only ones without major arthritis who are aware of its existence."

I laughed. "It's really pretty here."

There were so many plants and flowers and there was even a big greenhouse that was out of use. Plus, there was a little treehouse-like platform that was grown over with ivy and flowers, but looked sturdy enough to use.

"Dinger, will we get in trouble for being here?"

"I mean technically I think this is trespassing, but no police ever come around here and as long as we're home by curfew, it's fine."

"What if we get into trouble?"

"Hope, pal, buddy, amigo, friend, we will be fine!" He haphazardly thew his arm around my shoulders. "Besides, you're with me. If anything happens, I'll do some kung-fu shit to make sure we'll get outta here." I smiled at him, and he smiled back.

"Holfield, you're a real dork."

"And who says you aren't?"