Part 8 - Quirk Assessment.

We were all gathered outside the school building, awaiting for the ragged looking man to tell us why we are even out here right now.

"You have all taken assessment tests, in middle school. They take averages from students that aren't allowed to use their quirks." the tired looking teacher then looks at me, he raises a hand with a ball in it, "Midoriya, how far did you throw in middle school?"

I walk over to the black clad teacher "63.7 meters." Mr. Aizawa hands the ball to me and gestures towards the circle, "Its rather irrational for middle schools to be as procrastanistic as they are." I get where this is going so I summon Toshi-Might's card, making sure the students can only possibly see the Toshi side, as Mr. Aizawa speaks. "After all," I grab the card and golden sparks dance across my body in a flash, "the only good way to build the foundation of a hero," I reel my arm back and put all I can into the quirk gifted through Toshi-kun into this throw, "is to know your maximum first."

I toss the ball with a shout, launching it into the sky and making most my classmates fall down as they weren't expecting the amount of wind pressure that was produced by the action. "W-what the hell!?" A voice ringed out from the crowd.

I turned towards my teacher as I deactivate the quirk and a few seconds later a noise comes from the device he is now holding. He faces it towards my classmates, "804.6 Meters!?!?" Most of them scream out. Those same people then getting themselves pumped, "We're seriously allowed to use our quirks?" "Thats U.A. for ya." "Wait, what about orientation?" Mr. Aizawa shrugs at the last question, "Heroes don't have time for such leisurely things. U.A. has a free form style of teaching, meaning we can do whatever we want as teachers." I join up with the crowd as the murmuring continues, "This is way better than orientation." "I was probably going to snooze in that auditorium." "This is going to be so fun!"

"Fun..?" The class stiffens at the tone of our teacher. I'm no exception.
"Do you really want to be heroes with that kind of attitude? Was three fun years at U.A. what you expected?" He scoffs lightly, "Then lets raise the stakes," the tired looking man dawns a sadistic smile that has a hint of amusement and excitement mixed in, "whoever comes in last, will get expelled for showing no potential." Everyone seems to be shocked at the revelation that the mans words implied any one of their dreams could be crushed on the first day.

I swear I just heard a man hold in a cough from behind us, but I ignore it in favor of giving my teacher my full attention. "Expulsion on the first day!? That seems inhumane, and even if it weren't the first day, its still unfair!" Uraraka says passionately. 'Oh no Uraraka, don't talk back to this man!'

"Natural disasters, villain attacks, freak accidents," everyone seems to perk up into attention at his sudden words, "do those seem fair to you? The world is unfair. I don't care if you planned to breeze through these upcoming years, or if my teaching is undesirable, you will be trained in the ways of a hero. That means that you acknowledge the unfairness in the world, then fight hard against such things. Its our school matto, after all. Go beyond, plus ultra."

I can almost feel the wave of determination as it washes over myself and my peers. 'His monotone voice makes it sound less cool.' I think as i stretch, similarly to what a couple others have taken to doing. 'But I guess that speech was pretty cool, and I did expect this kind of thing coming in.'

———————
50 Meter Dash!!!

I get ready beside Kacchan, very aware of the murderous aura spiking off the boy. He seems to want to beat me desperately.

I decided to be cautious, with all eyes on the two of us, and brought out Mom's card. I let it spin in front of me as the robot started speaking. "Ready? Set..." I grabbed the card and sighed softly as a feeling of motherly love washed over me. I grabbed my self with telekinesis causing a soft green glow to surround me, "GO!" Then I fling myself forward, passing the line ahead of Kacchan. "4.0 seconds." I hear some of my classmates mutter about multiple quirks.

Grip Strength!!!

I grabbed Toshi's card out of view from my classmates. Gold electricity dances along my body and I clutch the device as hard as I can. 493.7 kg came up on the screen. 'This just proves, I'm only using a fraction of the quirk. Maybe just 10% and the electricity is the rest of the power.'

Standing Long Jump!!!

I watched as a weird french kid cleared the sandbox, then I saw Kacchan clear it. So I decided to be a little meany and summoned Kacchan's card. I could have sworn I felt his glare on my back. I rocketed over the sandbox with noticeably less flashy explosions.

Repeated Side Steps!!!

A small kid with weird ball hair, who has already been crossed off my mental checklist for OFA canidates, and who has proven himself to be a pervert beats out over everyone.

Ball Throw!!!

Kacchan was very cocky, and I don't doubt that he believed that he'd beat my throw by a lot. He didn't. He also technically got beat by Uraraka who threw an infinity.

He was pissed.

I did the seated toe touch and sit ups without the help of any quirk, since I don't see how they'll really help in any substantial way. I did use Toshi-Might's card for the distance run.

We all gather in front of Aizawa, some of my classmates are still breathing heavy from the long distance run, and he presses a button on his device as he sees that were all mostly ready for the results.

A holographic projection of the leaderboard pops up in front of us all and everyones eyes start scanning. 'Well, I didn't think I did that well...' I stare at my name which lies at the first place spot, bewildered at how none of my classmates with amazing or versatile quirks did better than me.

Poor grape headed kid got last, which honestly isn't surprising. The only thing he did good on was the repeated sidesteps, he fell flat on everything else due to the fact he isn't fit in the slightest.

Aizawa lets the placements sink in before he looks at the last place kid, "Rules are rules, last place is expelled." The kid starts to tear up before I but in.

I raise my hand loosely, "Ah, sir, it seems you've missed something about your own rule." He looks at me questioningly, a small hint of anger and challenge in his glare. "You said that last place will be judged to have no potential, but I believe that he does in fact have some potential." All eyes are on me, and I definitely feel the thankful, teary eyed stare from the purple kid, "The way he utilized his quirk during the repeated side steps is evidence that he can properly utilize his quirk, he just wasn't given the optimal conditions to do such." I feel cold sweat run down the back of my neck as the teachers stare holds on me for a couple seconds.

"Brilliant observational skills, Izuku." He says bitterly, almost like he wanted to expel someone on the first day, "You may have just changed my mind." He looks back to the now happy crying midget with a glare, "This only means that you will have to work to show me how well versed you are in your quirk." He raises his gaze to look at the entire class, "That also goes for the rest of you who scored low, even some that scored high. Your maximum now could very well be your minimum in the future if you work for it. Break those limits. You can go home now."

He walks opposite of the doors we need to use to get in, but no one dwells on that as we are all desperate to get home at this point.