Thénardier x Reader: Silence

You sighed as you wiped down a table, watching as Thénardier conned yet another customer out of his belongings. You shook your head as Madame and their little Eponine helped, though the little girl seemed a little reluctant. What kind of parents raised their daughter like this? How were you even friends with them? You sighed.

You knew.

You and Thénardier had...a past. You really thought he was the one, but then he met his wife. You weren't really sure why he chose her, to be honest. It wasn't like they had a happy marriage.

Or one at all, really. You had caught Madame with multiple men on multiple occasions and she had threatened to fire you if you told anyone. You wanted to tell Thénardier, but you needed the employment, and you didn't want to hurt him either. So there you were.

"Y/N!" Madame barked. You looked up.

"Yes?" You asked dryly. She dropped a basket of stolen glasses on the table with a loud thud.

"I need you to polish these." With a sigh, you threw your rag over your shoulder and sat down in front of the basket, pulling a handful of glasses out and laying them on the table. You grabbed your cloth and began scrubbing the lenses. You were so caught up in your work you didn't notice the man sit next to you.

"And what are you up to?" You didn't look up from you work.

"Hi, Thénardier." You put the clean glasses back in the basket as you worked.

"You know, we'd probably be able to haul in more if you helped out a little more, and—"

"No," He blinked in surprise.

"But—"

"No." He huffed.

"Why not?"

"That's not who I am."

"But don't you want to raise your salary?"

"Not if it takes from others." He sighed.

"They should take better care of their stuff." You slammed a pair of spectacles on the table, cracking one of the lens.

"It doesn't matter!" You shouted.

"You've never had a problem with our business before; what's your problem now?"

"I've always had a problem with it!" You said.

"Why didn't you say anything?" You huffed and stood up, walking towards the door. "Oi, wait!" You ignored him and walked out. You made it to the well before he stopped you. "What's your problem?" You whirled on him.

"What's my problem? What's my problem?" You glared at him as tears welled up in your eyes. "I'm still in love with you!" He was shocked into silence. You glared at him. He was completely frozen. You realized he wasn't going to say something, you took your chance. "I quit." And then you spun on your heel and stalked off.

Leaving Thénardier alone in the cold, a sick feeling spreading through his body.