Kabir Singh - A tale of love or oppression ?

Kabir Singh is Bollywood's remake of the Telugu drama-action film - Arjun Reddy. The film revolves around an angry ( a very very angry) and not so young surgeon - Kabir and his ceaseless pursuit of acquiring the love of his life - Preeti.

The film opens with the soothing couplets of poets, Khusro and Kabir creating the promise of a soulful love story that quickly gets washed away like the dust on Kabir's Royal Enfield.

We are introduced to Kabir - the protagonist who is consumed by drinking, smoking and a justifiable sex drive as he desperately hunts for someone to have casual sex with. In one such encounter, he finds his patient's wife (apparently turned on by his machismo) consenting to have sex with him. But seeing his horrifying urge to just do it and not indulge in any foreplay ( also with her husband at the doorstep waiting for his loving wife to open the door), she refuses and asks him to leave. Kabir who is allergic to NO's is inevitably angry and threatens her to undress, leaving her feeling humiliated and technically not raping her ( so please calm down feminazis).

The director Sanjay Reddy sets the stage for us to feel sorry for our self- destructive Kabir. A man who lives alone with his dog (named Preeti, you know why) and is ready to pin down anyone who thinks that Preeti is just a dog incapable of having a meaningful conversation. As Kabir sits alone with his dog ( sorry, Preeti), the director tries to make you wonder - What went wrong? How did this man end up feeling so hollow and hateful?

And thus begin the clumsy transitions into Kabir's dark past as the topper and self appointed guardian of a prestigious medical college in Delhi.
It is here that the film has the chance to explore an existing and often neglected section of the society - medical students and their college life. A life fraught with abusive ragging and extreme academic and social pressure. Despite accidentally opening the doors to this rather interesting theme, the director chooses to focus blindly on Kabir and Preeti's love story.

This directorial choice would have been sincerely accepted if 'love' was being established between the characters played by Shahid Kapoor and Kiara Advani. Kabir, played by Kapoor, lays his eyes on Preeti as she is walking past him with her eyes fixed at the ground ( only making eye contact with him for a brief while).
In Kabir's words, he's smitten by the beauty of this 'good looking chick' and is quick to mark his territory like a true dog. He uses his position as the topper of the college and captain of the football team to declare himself as the rightful suitor for Preeti ( He literally calls Preeti as Meri Bandi Hai). Our Kabir is kind enough and playfully declares that all women except for Preeti are up for grabs. If being popularised as the love interest of a senior in college isn't embarrassing enough, Kabir's friends rush to Preeti's class to evaluate her beauty ( literally pointing their approving fingers at her). Mind you, Kabir hasn't spoken a single word to the love of his life so far.

But Kabir doesn't want to do Preeti like he wanted to do his patient's wife, he loves her so he abducts her from regular lectures to teach her anatomy amongst other things. He is gentle and plants a kiss on her cheek casually (without asking for her permission) Meanwhile what does Preeti have to say? Well, let's just say that Kiara Advani's sole artistic duty till the first half of the film is to maintain the flawless pink blush on her cheeks, smile occasionally and nod her head ( if required).

Preeti is so scared of this angry young Gunda of the college that she doesn't dare to wake him up when he falls asleep in her lap. All this while, Preeti's silence is taken for a classic Bollywood YES. So much so, the arch rivals of Kabir think that Preeti is Kabir's Bandi so harassing her would be the perfect way to avenge their loss.

The director gives our Kabir the golden chance to emerge as the lover and hero that he is. He finally proves his love for Preeti by protecting her from goons as if he is any less than them. Preeti who is shocked by her unprecedented rise to fame as Kabir's Bandi and Kabir's protection program, falls hopelessly in 'love' with him.

It is only after Preeti and Kabir start dating that the former becomes clingy and needy whereas Kabir gets bored because he has finally 'has' Preeti in his arms.

We see this couple try their hand at a long distance relationship as well. Throughout the screenplay, we see them making out, having fun but rarely conversing as lovers do.
As a viewer, you can't really root for them because more than love, we have seen a man somersaulting in all possible ways to get a woman's attention.

We are also briefly introduced to Kabir and Preeti's families. Kabir is clearly more well off than his Bandi. Preeti being a woman from a Sikh family is already burdened by the pressure of marrying the man of her father's dream - someone from the same caste and values.

Will the girl ever have a say in what she wants?  

Preeti's father hates Kabir's smoking, drinking and blatant refusal to bow down to the new alpha male. Kabir is crazy in love with Preeti but also has an ego the size of his beard. Both threaten Preeti to take a decision as to which alpha male will she choose to surrender to? Preeti is frustrated, she needs help from either but no one comes to her help.

Suddenly, Preeti is married off while  an intoxicated Kabir is tripping unconscious. Years pass, Kabir is unable to get over Preeti.After this point, Kabir loses himself. He even ends up conducting a surgery intoxicated. His friends and well wishers blame the girl for Kabir's downward spiral.

The movie ends with Kabir chancing upon a pregnant Preeti in a public park (years later). He gets to know that even Preeti couldn't live without him and ran away from the house that she was married to. But wait, whose baby does she have? It's Kabir's. So yeah, ain't it a happy love story?

The only good thing about the film apart from its music ( which was perhaps made for another film) is that it shows our society that Kabir Singhs exist. They treat women like objects and fail to communicate any emotion except for anger. Their idea of love is oppression.

Kabir needed help and so did Preeti and so does anyone who thinks that Kabir Singh is a love story.