Quiet before the storm

[ Shuichi's P.O.V ]

I guess I should introduce myself, uh?

I'm Shuichi Saihara, 17 years old, and I'm a student at Imperial Capital's Imperial High School. My life is quite normal and boring since I'm just an average student with no particular talent. The only thing that made my life a bit more exciting was Danganronpa, but unfortunately the show was declared illegal and cancelled forever a few months ago, before the 53th season could start. Of course I felt sad, I'm one of the biggest fans and now I have to hide this information about me from other people.

Why?

Well, after deleting the Killing Game show, society became very strict about everything that had to do with it. All the gadgets in the shops and episodes on the internet were removed, if people knew you watched and enjoyed it then you would become an outcast, not only at your school or workplace, but everywhere. I already have my problems integrating myself at school so I would rather avoid any other trouble.

Despite these events there's still something, or rather, someone that makes me want to wake up everyday and live my life.

"G-good morning, Saihara." I heard a familiar voice greeting me while I was changing my shoes in front of my locker.

I instantly turned my head in their direction and greeted them back. "Ah, good morning Ouma." A smile formed on my lips as soon as I saw him.

Yes, it's him, Kokichi Ouma. He's the reason I still find a meaning in my boring life.

I met him last year in this school and we became friends....or something like that? But after two months I realized I was starting to have a crush on him, I thought it would eventually disappear since we don't even talk much. Not for any particular motive, it's just that we're in different classes and I'm..shy. Not as much as him though, I mean, I don't have many difficulties when I have to talk to someone but if it's him, I can't stop being nervous.

So here I am today, still in this kind of relationship and my crush that turned into love over time. I know he's a fan of Danganronpa too because we talked about it together before the serie was cancelled. Usually fans of it are considered the worst and lowest kind of people, psychopaths that you would never want around.

But me and Ouma are just normal teens. Like, yeah, we watched the show because we love the gore and all the motives or stories behind every season, but we would never be able to hurt someone during our daily life. Especially Ouma, who gets bullied often without reacting. I tried to help him in any way I could, though it seems that no matter what, people always find a way to hurt him and I feel powerless because I'm not able to protect the person I care so much about..

Ding dong dong ding ~

"Ah, the bell! I have to go now, see you Ouma!" I waved at him and started running to class. "Y-yeah, see you." I heard him answer behind me.

As soon as I entered the class I sat on my desk and prepared myself for the same routine.

After school

"I didn't see Ouma during lunch, I hope he's ok.." I mumbled to myself worried.

I was about to walk out of school when suddenly I heard some strange noises that came from an alley in the courtyard. I went closer to where the sounds were coming from and widened my eyes at the sight of what caused them.

"ARE YOU DEAF!? WE ASKED YOU WHERE ARE OUR MONEY!!!"

"I-I-I'm s-sorry, I r-really don't have a-any money o-on me today..."

A group of bullies was beating up Ouma, I couldn't stand it, I couldn't stay there silently watching them hurting the boy.

"DON'T TOUCH HIM!!!" I shouted, throwing my heavy bag at the one who was holding the smaller by his shirt, making him lose his grip on him. I immediately helped the injured boy trying to make him stand on his feet.