Chapter Thirteen

I stand up from my seat overlooking the gardens and walk towards the nursery. I step in quietly, not sure if it's the best place for me to be after the news of the day.

I tiptoe over to the teepee of toys. They appear to be in the same position as I left them in. I kneel down on the floor and begin digging through the stuffed toys.

When I'm finished, there's a giant mess around me. I pile them back up, making sure to leave all the stuffed animals with names on their feet off to the side.

When I'm finished, I take them back into our chambers. I put the animals on the bed and that's when I realize something is different: there's four bears instead of three.

There's one new stuffed animal: a petite, pink pig. Instead of just Maxon's name, though, it's both of our names.

Upon seeing my name on the pig's foot, a thought crossed my mind: 3 animals for all the children Queen Amberley loss and one for mine.

§§§

I look in the mirror at my complexion. It looks maturer than it once was. Much like Maxon's, my features now include the beginning of a few stress lines, but I also look more regal, more like a queen.

I quickly walk out the door of my bedroom and hurry down to the dining room. The fact that the baby, or lack there of, is bothering cannot keep me out of my regular routine. That will make for the fall of a queen, a king, and their realm.

When I walk into the dining room, Maxon is already sitting there. Servants have already filled his plate but he has not began eating yet. I take my place beside him and servants quickly fill my plate.

When they're off to the side, we eat in silence. I'm unsure of what to say. This silence has lasted for the past week. I haven't asked him about the animals get and I don't plan to bring it up.

"How are the castes transitioning?" I ask him. He finishing chewing the piece of meat in his mouth and sets down his fork.

"Well. We have finally eliminated it down to two castes: the upper and lower," Maxon explains. I take a sip of wine.

"I expect that transition will happen in the next few months?" I ask him. He nods.

"It should," he tells me. I nod and take another bite of my meal. "You know, I miss you in those meetings. It would be a pleasant change if you wanted to return and help us plan the final steps."

"I would love to," I tell him, nodding. I take a few more bites and the silence returns.

I take a few minutes to observe my husband. His face has grown up. The last few years as King has not ruined his good looks. If anything, they've improved them. He still has the same sparkle in his eyes and the same smile.

The sparkle is no longer as bright now. It hasn't been for the last month or so. I can tell something is bothering him so finally I ask, "Maxon, if something were bothering you, you would tell me, right?"

He looks up from his food and stares at me. "Of course, why?" he responds. I shrug.

"I'm not sure. . . It just seems like there's something that you aren't telling me. I was just a little concerned," I explain. He reaches his hand across the table and takes my hand in his.

"America, if there was something wrong you are the first person I would even think to go to. I've just had a lot on my plates with the final merges of the castes," Maxon explains to me. I give him a small nod.

"I understand," I tell him with a small smile. We continue to eat in silence, the need for conversation becoming less and less necessary as time passes.

Sorry that this is sort of short. I was not sure what should come next.

Disclaimer: Kiera Cass owns the Selection, not me.