Chapter Seventeen

I look over the plans for the party. The flower arrangements that were brought in a few hours are perfectly centered on the tables scattered around the garden. Colorful table cloths blow in the wind. At the end of the garden opposite of the garden is a canopy with a small platform, holding four thrones. 

The Germans will be arriving tomorrow. They will be our first guest since the announcement of the castes being eliminated. I have been constantly reminded that their visit must go perfectly. Despite them being one of our closest allies, one big mistake could ruin everything, and we are vulnerable after all. 

"Queen America, would you please sample these dishes?" a maid behind me asks. I turn as two butlers carry out samples of food, one full of our food and the other full of traditional German food. 

"Of course," I tell her as I sit down. I sit down and they serve me a small portion of each sample. I scribble little notes and mark off each one. By the time they finish, I want nothing more. The German food certainly has quite a large contrast between ours. 

As I review the notes, I notice several foods do not have anything by them. "You're missing several dishes. Where are they?" I ask the butlers. They look nervously at one another. The maid steps forward. 

"The chef said the resources for those are not available. He ordered the food necessary for them but they will not be here in time," she informs me. I look at her and shake my head. 

"Please inform the chef that we at least need the Brathering tomorrow! It is the German King's favorite dish," I inform her. She nods and bows to me, the two butlers quickly following her actions. 

"Of course, my queen," she tells me. I watch them leave before I turn back to my notes. I observe the rest of the garden, making sure everything else is exactly the way I had it planned out. Once I find the few flaws and get them taken care of, I head back inside the palace. 

The Palace staff is just as busy inside as it was outside. New flower arrangements are being added and the maids are dusting the furniture for the dozenth time. As the large grandfather clock at the end of the hallway chimes, I hear the noise of someone being given a tour. 

I look around the corner of the nearest hallway to see a middle aged couple dressed in the most elegant of clothes following a butler down the hallway. I turn back to the main stretch of hall, smooth out my dress, and take a deep breath before turning back onto that hallway with a large smile. 

"King Garrick, Queen Hylla, it is lovely to see you both," I say as I approach them. Once we have reached one another, we all bend into bows. When I stand back upright, I look to the queen, hoping for an explanation as to why they are early. 

"We apologize for coming today," Queen Hylla says in her rough english, "but we had to come in earlier due to some unforseen problems at home. I hope that is okay?" I nod with a warm smile. 

"Of course," I tell her. I look at the King. "If there are any problems, I urge you to see King Maxon. He is in his office now," I tell him. He nods his head. 

"Thank you, Queen America," they answer. We exchange several more remarks before the King leaves with the butler to my husband. As he walks away, the queen loops her arm through mine. 

"Queen America, I hope it is not too large of a bother, but I was concerned upon seeing your special request for our arrival. What happened?" she asks. I look over at her and her eyes quickly snap to mine. I can tell where they were aimed: at my stomach. 

"There was an accident at about three months. During my niece's birthday party, rebels attacked the palace. On the way to the safe rooms, I fell and was knocked unconscious. . ." I explain, not wanting to continue on. She looks at me with concerned eyes as we approach the Women's Room. 

"And the fall killed the baby?" she asks. I bite my lip and nod. Queen Hylla's eyes look in front of us. "Then, why are you still. . . Why does it still look like you are pregnant?" I take a deep breath through my nose.

"It is a hysterical pregnancy," I explain to her. We reach the doors to the Women's Room and the guards at the door open them for us. "My body is under the impression that I need to have a child so it is mimicking the process of being pregnant." 

"And that is why you want us to keep it a secret?" she asks. I nod. "So then how many months pregnant should you be?" she asks. 

"I should be about eight and a half. If I was still actually pregnant, I would be about ready to pop at any given second," I say as a joke. She gives me a small laugh.

"Well, King Garrick and I certainly promise to keep your secret," she says. I give her a kind smile.

"Thank you."

Hi, everyone! I apologize for taking so long to update. I had exams for a week and then my OM team traveled half way across the country for World Finals so we were there for a week. Today is the first day in a while where I have stayed in pajamas and done absolutely nothing, and trust me. It feels nice. I see no more than 5 more chapters for this story and then there might be some surprises? I dunno. We'll see. Thanks for putting up with me! Love ya!

Disclaimer: Kiera Cass owns The Selection, not me.