Chapter 1. Part Two: The Perfect Day

Damion sat himself up on his bed and climbed back over the footboard of his bed. He paused at the doorway, not wanting to face Rosemary and Kendrick after what happened, but he kinda had to. He swung his door open and strolled out, heading back downstairs. He was about to make a beeline for the front door when he noticed them sitting around the kitchen table.

"Damion?" Rosemary asked softly. "Do you want to talk to us?"

Damion nodded and took a slouching seat at the table. Before he had a chance to speak and tell them that he'd loved his time here etc. but he knew where he was going in life, Rosemary said,

"We just got off the phone with CCS again."

Damion's brow furrowed.

"Oh?" He asked, forgetting his long explanation.

"They called ahead to Austin, and Austin agreed to give you a spot. CCS already filled your spot in community service. We tried to tell them you hadn't made up your mind yet Damion, but they said it wasn't your decision." Rosemary explained trying not to choke up. Damion, felt his eyes dim, and his face harden. Kendrick took over. Good, he was easier to be angry at without all the softness Rosemary had.

"Listen son."

"I'm not your son." Damion deadpanned back.

"Damion." Kendrick correctly himself sharply. "We get it." He began. Do you? Damion thought.

"You just want to be left alone, go back to whatever delinquent friends you were with, not worry about school and hard work anymore." Kendrick assumed. What do you know. Damion growled in his head, he was only partially right.

"But don't get angry, CCS is doing what they think is best for you. We didn't get a say in the matter. We want you gone as much as you want to leave." Kendrick burst out before he could stop himself.

"Kendrick!" Rosemary gasped sharply. Damion narrowed his eyes at the man, who suddenly looked very uncomfortable in his own skin.

"I know." Damion began quiet, effectively shutting them up so they could hear. "I know I'm moody, and difficult, and I don't talk that much, and I stay boarded up in my room, I know I'm a pain in the ass!" Damion was shouting now. He didn't care. "I never asked to be here, I never asked for my mother die and my dad to abandon me! I never asked for anything, but for some reason people keep giving me things I don't ask for. Like going to College! Or coming here!"

"Damion?" A small voice chimed in between his shouts. Everyone froze and turned to where Rory's head was peeking out from behind a wall.

"Rory." Damion said, his voice breaking. He tried to reach out to let the kid know it was okay, but Kendrick stepped in front of his son, his real son, and scooped him up in his arms. He carried him upstairs whispering what must have been words of comfort.

Damion turned back to Rosemary, who was on the verge or crying.

"Rosem-" Damion tried to apologize. She wouldn't take any of it.

"You listen to me young man, and you listen real good. People are doing their best to put a life in your lap, and you're acting spoiled, like you want to run away to that delinquent life and throw away the opportunities you're given. The CCS may have a stick up their butts, I can agree on that much. But they are jumping through some very high hoops for you and I'll be damned if you don't appreciate it. I am jumping hoops for you, Kendrick jumps hoops for you even if he complains about it, he still does it because we care very much about you. Your mother and father may not have been around very long for you, and I'm so sorry about that, but I know they taught their boy some manners." Rosemary lectured. Damion had nothing to say. He was too guilty and too angry to say anything good.