13

The drive to hospital was horrible.

Lucy was so worried, that she nearly hit a couple of cars.

Louis was sat holding Harry up in his car seat. "Are we nearly there Mum? He's shaking so much!" Louis shouted.

"Shaking? Oh god!" Lucy put her foot on the pedal and drove faster than the speed limit. She only cared for getting her boy to hospital.

She sped to the car park, parked quickly and Louis and Lucy got out, Lucy grabbed Harry and ran through the hospital, screaming for help.

A doctor ran over, taking the small boy from her, and rushing off to a cubical. Lucy and Louis tried to follow but were stopped by a nurse.

"Please we need to be with him!" Lucy cried, holding Louis' hand tight.

"I'll take you in, but you need to let the doctor's check him." Lucy nodded and they all went in.

The sight was sickening.

Harry was on a bed, stripped down to his pants, doctor's were fussing over him. Taking temperature, blood pressure, pulse, checking his whole body.

Harry was shaking again. It was a seizure. His tiny body was jumping around so much, if he hadn't been held he would've fallen on the floor.

A minute later he stopped shaking, but started vomitting, he was rolled on to his side, as he bought up what was left of his breakfast.

Louis looked away, crying into his Mum's chest, she hugged him close.

The next hour went by in a haze.

Harry's temperature was still very high, he was put under a cooling blanket, given meds and placed on a drip. He was dehydrated.

Once it seemed as though he was stable, a doctor sat them down.

"I know this looks scary. We're going to need to do tests. I see from Harry's notes, that he had a bad upbringing. He was neglected. I think this could be as a result of that. He could have a severely weak immune system. That's what we're going to test for."

"Oh god. Is there anything we could've done?" Lucy cried.

"Oh no! No...this is nothing you could've avoided happening. If it is what we suspect, it's from years of neglect, it could have caused him so much damage. But... let's wait until we get test results. We'll do them immediately. You'll have to wait in the relatives room while we do then I'm afraid." He spoke so calmly.

Lucy nodded. Louis still clinging to her.

"Thank you doctor. Please get him better?" She shook his hand and he went back to Harry.

Lucy and Louis were shown to the relatives room. Lucy hugged a very sleepy, sad Louis and got her phone out. She called Liam.

"Lucy... what's happening love?"

"Li... it's bad. He...he had seizures. They're doing tests. Said it could be from the neglect. God I hate his parents so much!" She was crying so hard, that he could hardly understand her.

"Shit. If I ever see them.. I'll kill them! So what's happening?" He tried to sound strong for her sake.

"They're doing tests. Oh god Liam, I'm so scared. He's so tiny."

"Lucy try to calm down. They'll fix him love! Is Louis ok?"

"Not really. It's scared the shit out of him. He's asleep now. He's been so good though Li. I'm so proud of him. Are the boys ok?"

"They're scared. Been crying lots. Take care of Lou and Harry. I'll come tomorrow. I love you!"

"Ok. I love you too Li."

She hung up the phone.

Two hours later, the doctor returned.

"We've done the tests, we're waiting for the results, I've rushed them through so it won't be long."

"Thank you. Please tell us straight away!" She sniffed.

"Of course."

Louis woke up, and looked up at his Mum.

"Is Harry ok Mum?" He whispered.

She hugged him. "We don't know yet darling. The doctor's will tell us soon." She kissed the top of his head.

Louis snuggled closer.

Another hour passed when the doctor was back.

"Right. Harry does have  a seriously weakened immune system. What would seem like a fairly harmless stomach bug to us, is 100 times worse for him. You're going to have to be careful if any of you are ill. It's best if you don't have contact with him until 48 hours after you are ill. He can't be picking up any bugs. It could prove fatal if not caught early. I don't mean to scare you, it's just the facts. It's also best that he doesn't go to school, you know what kids are like, he could catch anything. Also your kids need to practice extreme hygiene."

It was all a lot to take in.

"Ok...but he will recover from this?"

"This particular illness? Yes. We need to keep him in for a while though."

"What exactly caused this?"

"Hard to know. You say he has only been in your garden since he came to you? It could be something that's been in his system from before you took him. Being neglected hasn't done him any favours. He's up to date on all his vaccines now?" He asked looking at his notes.

"Yes...yes he's all up to date. We made sure of that."

"Good. Well, I'll leave you alone for a bit. If you need us, press the red button." He said as he left the room.

They sat next to Harry. He looked so small, pale and sickly. The nurse said his temperature had gone down, so that was a relief. He was asleep, but looked restless, as if he was having another bad dream. Lucy hoped not, she knows they're bad. Poor Harry. She kissed his warm cheeks and held his hand.

Oh my god. Poor little Harry! And what about Louis being such a good big brother?

All the love xxx