Chapter 3: A Normal Life

15 Years Later

I was walking up to the salvage company Nate and I took as a normal job, carrying a bag of food and a drink carrier, when I see Nate walking and talking to Jameson, our boss. I smiled as I realized he didn't notice me walking up. I had taken a week off for mine and Cole's two year anniversary and we went to London, finally. And this time, we didn't have anyone chase us or shoot at us.

I walked over to Nate and Jameson as they go over to a crate, open it and talk amongst each other. "Wow...look at that. We struck copper." Nate said. "Well, you'd be surprised how much this stuff is worth. Client's paying good money for the full recover." Jameson said to him. "Sure you don't wanna just melt it down, make some pennies?" Nate asked him, teasingly.

"Well look at you two! Working hard?" I said as I get closer to them. Both of them look up and Nate smiles. "Hey there, girl!" Jameson said, smiling, while Nate comes over to me. I open my arms wide, trying to avoid spilling the drinks and getting the food squished, as Nate runs over and hugs me. "I didn't expect you back so soon." Nate said as he pulls back from the hug. "Yeah, we just got home last night. Apparently that report Cole and Elena are working on, they really needed him back so we came home early." I said then I hold up the bag and drink carrier.

"And I thought it would be a nice surprise to bring you lunch and a drink." I said and he smiles. "Well...aren't you sweet." Nate said as he takes the bag and the drink. "The sweetest!" I said, jokingly, and Jameson laughs. "Well, come on and let's talk. I was just about to go and do some paperwork." Nate said and I laugh. "Sure." I said and the two of us head into the office as Jameson yells after Nate. "See you later, Nate."

Later that day, I was sitting across from Nate as he flips through the paperwork while we talk amongst each other when the door to the office opens. "Hey! Hey, guys! Hold on." Jameson said as he comes into the office. "Hey. What are you doing here?" Nate asked him. "Ah...I got a present for ya." Jameson said as he hands a file to Nate. "Present? What's this?" He asked as he looks through the files.

"Got some news from my contract about that wreck off the coast of Malaysia..." Jameson said and Nate shakes his head. "Oh, no..." Nate mutters. "Ah...the ship's intact." Jameson said. "Yeah?" I asked as I look over his shoulder to look at the file. "Cargo's ripe for the packing..." Jameson said and Nate and I laugh. "You are a persistent one, I'll give you that." Nate said.

"And...all the money came through for the equipment, too. We all set. Except, ah...my best duo— the two I trust for the job— the only ones. They...they've got cold feet." Jameson said. "My feet were never warm to begin with. Tell me, this contact of yours...he get the permits?" Nate asked him. "No, he did not get the permits. Can't no one get the damn permits..." Jameson replied. "Course not." I muttered.

"But guys, don't you see that works in our favor. No permits means no competition. The shit is ours." Jameson said. "No permits means no go." Nate said. "Nate...this is retirement money. For the three of us. Okay, I don't know about you two, but I don't want to be working salvage when I'm sixty. Do you?" Jameson asked us. "Sure beats prison." I said and Nate nods. "Listen, we'll have to pass. And trust me so should you." Nate said as he goes to hand the file back. "Okay just take it. Humor me, okay?" Jameson said as he hands the file back to Nate.

"I'm not gonna change my mind." Nate said. 

"Neither am I." I chimed in.

"Then don't hurt to sleep on it, does it?" Jameson asked and we chuckled. He smiles and starts to leave. "Say hi to Karla and the kids for me, okay?" Nate calls out. "All right. No pressure, guys! But think about it!" Jameson says and Nate and I look at each other and roll our eyes.