Chapter 7: The Twelve Towers

Savanna

"What’s the satellites saying, Victor?" Sam asked as Sully raises his phone and holds it up in the air while Nate and I sitting in the jeep. "Right now, not a damn thing. I lost the signal." Sully said and Nate sighs. "I lost the signal." He said and he gets out of the Jeep. "Hey, y'know what never loses its signal? Paper." He said as he holds up a map. 

"All right, this route right should take us straight to the volcano. Might get a little bumpy though." Nate said as he lays the map on the hood of the vehicle and I stand up and lean over to see the map. "Let's get this show on the road." Sam said. "Okay." Sully said as he and Sam start to get into the back seat of the jeep and I sit on the passenger seat.

"All right." Nate said as he gets to the driver's seat, starts the jeep and we start to take off. "So, what’re we doing for out here?" Sully asked. "Well, the map shows all these structures around the volcano. Some abandoned outposts, a handful, of watch towers." Nate replied.

"Watch towers?" Sully asked. "Avery was the most wanted man in the world, so if he was hiding something out here, makes sense he'd heed lookouts." I said. "And one of those towers is right on the volcano." Nate said. "With Avery's treasure?" Sully asked. "Fingers crossed." Sam mutters.

"So with our luck, what are the odds this volcano is going to erupt on us?" I asked as I turn in my seat to look at Sully. "Zero. It's extinct. Trust me, that's the first thing I looked up when we said we were heading for a volcano. That, and where to rent the cheapest 4x4." Sully replied. "Wait, Sully... you're telling us that you actually did some research?" Nate asked, shocked. "Can't let you and your sister be the know-it-all every time, kid." Sully laughs.

"That bridge there is what you would call rickety." Sam remarks as we come upon a long bridge that looked alittle unsafe. "Ah, this looks promising." Nate said as we drive up to a muddy trail that leads us to the bridge. "C'mon, c'mon, baby. Let's go. Go, go, go, go! Made it." Nate said as the jeep finally makes it to the top of th trail.

"Okay, kid. Just... don't drop us." Sully said as we get closer to the bridge "Hey, just— keep it slow... keep it in the center." Sam said, nervously. "Yeah, there's a lot of backseat driving going on right now." Nate exclaims as he drives on the bridge, which suddenly begins to shift and almost collapsed.
"Whoa!" Sam and I exclaimed. "We're good. Everything's good." Nate assures us and we finally make if over the bridge to the other side. "Jesus Christ." Sully exclaims and Nate continues to drive on until we come up to a muddy hill.

"Onward and upward." I said and Nate tries to drive up but the jeep kept slipping. "No! Turn in to it!" Sully instructs nut it wasn't working. "Agh, we're getting nowhere fast." Nate grumbles. "You need traction." I said then I see some rocks. "Try driving over to the rocks." I said  "I got it, I got it." He said and he drives over to the rocks and we were able to get uphill. "Okay, think I'm getting the hang of this...there we go!" He said once we get to the top of the hill and he laughs.

"Don't spin out now." Sully warns as we drop down a few feet. "Oh, Jesus. Oh, my spine." Sully exclaims in pain. "Look, tire tracks— someone came up this way." I pointed out as we drive up on a slanting rock then get to the top. "Hey, look up there on the hill! Got a tower or something." Sam said. "Now we're talking." Sully said and Nate steers the jeep in that direction.

"Hey, Victor, what were you arguing with the rental guy about?" Sam asked Sully. "Oh, your brother insisted on getting a 4x4 with a winch." Sully replied. "So you sprung for the winch, but you couldn't spring for the suspension. I got it." Sam said. "Hey it's important. Going off road, it might rain, might be muddy." Nate defended. "I'll bet we go this whole damn thing and never use that winch." Sully mutters. "Okay, girls, let's calm down." I said.