3. I Needed A Reason

Author's Note:
So between the last update and this chapter, Taylor announced Lover, released You Need To Calm Down, and unleashed the gayest music video I have ever seen. Suffice to say, my tiny lesbian heart is very full.

In which Karlie has a battle to win.

Karlie was known for many things, but arriving on time when it counted was not one of them. Thankfully for her, years of the unbreakable habit meant she was becoming an expert at getting ready in a very short amount of time.

Within ten minutes of arriving home from her run, she had showered and changed into a new set of clean clothes. In another five, she was out the door once again.

"7:15," Karlie checked the time on her phone as she stepped onto the pavement. "Not too bad."

"You're fifteen minutes late," a terse voice called.

Karlie glanced up to see Josh frowning at her as he leaned against his car, hands shoved deep into his pockets. His chauffeur was already waiting in the driver's seat, car idling.

Oh boy here we go, Karlie thought, plastering an easy smile on her face.

"Sorry about that Josh," she said walking up to him. "You know me, I can't ever be on time for anything."

"Mmm," Josh grunted, mouth twisted into something that may have resembled a smile, if you squinted.

"Good to see you too," Karlie quipped tugging him close for a quick hug.

"Yeah well," Josh returned the hug with one arm. "Whatever it is you want to talk about I hope it's important. I had to put off another meeting to fit this one in."

"And I appreciate that. I really do," Karlie said, genuine. "And it is important. I didn't want to talk about this over the phone."

"I'm sure it is," Josh said offhandedly. "Come on, we'd better go."

Not bothering to open the car door for her, he moved to his side behind the driver's seat and climbed in. Karlie sighed and let herself in, buckling up as the car peeled away from the sidewalk.

--------------------------------------------

A tense silence filled the car as they drove. Josh was incessantly checking his phone, barely sparing her any small talk. Karlie on the other hand was too preoccupied with rehearsing how their next conversation would pan out to do much else.

In her head, Karlie had already compiled a shortlist of people who were trustworthy and important enough to know the truth about her and Taylor. Kristine, obviously, the only one in her family who knew about their shared dreams. Cara, who gave her so much love and support that day she realised Taylor was a real person. Her mother, maybe, if her relationship with Taylor progressed far enough.

But one thing was certain, Josh was not part of that list. Which led to the question of how she could explain all of this to Josh without sounding crazy? With a move as big as the one she was about to make, he would want a damn good reason for her decision. A reason she couldn't give him in full. But she couldn't just lie about it. She owed him some semblance of the truth.

But as they parked outside their destination, Karlie was jerked out of her thoughts by the unmistakable sound of paparazzi. Glancing out the window, she was greeted with a wall of photographers, cameras creating a riot of clicks and flashes, all calling out her name.

"Seriously?" Karlie said, even as she spared them a courteous smile. "How'd they know we'd be here?"

"I called them," Josh said briskly. Karlie turned to him, incredulous.