Eighteen

Without a thought, I sprint out of my room and down the stairs.

Out of breath and in a rush, my eyes scatter around the kitchen for a specific item. When I spot it, I feel my body gravitate towards the counter.

My arm extends for the car keys rested on top of the microwave, then suddenly gets whacked away.

"Where do you think you're going?" I roll my eyes at the view in front of me.

"Give me the car keys, Alex"

"Answer my question first" An evil smirk plastered on his face. He knew how to annoy me and I could tell he was bored with nothing better to do.

"Alex" I mutter under my breath, attempting to control my anger.

I knew my parents were nearby and didn't want to cause a scene, "I'm not going to ask again" He laughs at my state and begins to mock me.

"It's 7pm plus i already asked mom. She says you can't go out"

"You're such a liar" I shake my head "You never even asked mom"

"Uh huh" He raises his eyebrows at me, acting as if he took offense.

I let out a sigh in frustration, "Just give me the keys Alex, I'm not playing. This is important"

He looks at me skeptical - wondering how he could walk away from this conversation with an advantage.

"I'll give it to you" The grip he had on the keys slowly loosens and I watch- eagerly - as his arm extends in my direction, "If!" I roll my eyes and let out a hearty breath, "You get me a bag of chips from the store"

"Ohh", laughter escapes my mouth when I realize he's being serious, "You think I'm going to the store, don't you?"

"No" There was a blank expression on his face.

The smile on my face immediately washes off and I stare at him in confusion - waiting for an explanation.

"I know you're fighting with your girlfriend" He says nonchalantly while shrugging his shoulders.

"How d-"

"Lauren doesn't talk, she yells. Everyone in Portland could hear your conversation" He rolls his eyes, "The girl is a bonafide lunatic, not to mention completely obstreperous", Alex chuckles while throwing the keys in my direction.

Impressed, but not surprised by his level of vocabulary, I join in on the laughter - catching the keys, "How much did you hear?" I couldn't help but feel embarrassed over the fact that my little brother heard the entire conversation.

Alex was only 11. Some days he acted like an 18 year old and other days, his maturity level was comparable to a 6 year olds.

"Enough to realize that you're dumb"

"Hey!" I scoff at his remark but also feel powerless as I am unable to defend myself, "I'm not dumb"

"Her names Ariana right?" He asks with a cheeky grin, "She's really pretty"

"Yeah" I shoot him a heartfelt smile, "She is, isn't she?"

"Mhm" Alex awkwardly nods his head, "But I still like Derek"

Instinctively, my arms fold and I shake my head. This kind of behavior was expected from Alex and my dad - who both made it clear they preferred Derek to Ariana.

I don't understand why, but they just did. I guess it was a guy thing.

And of course, the two most irrational people in my life were the only supporters I had - my mom and Lauren.

His comment had caused me to drift off into thought and I begin to daydream about Ariana.

"Anyway" I felt his eyes roll which causes me to break out of my trance, "Don't forget my chips" His arms were now folded.

I shake my head - joy consuming me as our conversation comes to an end, "I'll be back soon. Don't wait up for me"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A gust of icy cold air hits my face as I take a seat in my car. I stare at the windshield, now covered in tens of millions of raindrops - contemplating on whether or not I should run back inside and get a coat.

Given the harsh rain and occasional lightning that would make an appearance, I knew the answer.

But by the time I'd go back inside, grab the jacket and run back out, I was bound to run into one of my parents. And I really, truly was not in the mood to deal with either of them.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - -

The second I get out of my car, I'm met with the weather my state loved to pride itself off of. A downpour. A thunderstorm if you will.

What felt like a flood of rain poured on me and wiped away every ounce of warmth the car heater had given me.

My jeans and shirt were now drenched and I squirmed at the state I was in. I'd never felt more uncomfortable.

My hair was soaking wet and looked like I just stepped out of the shower.

The howling of the wind continued to blow in my face - causing my teeth to chatter. Shortly afterwards, my entire body began to shiver.

Approaching the house, I feel my heart slowly sink into my stomach. I rang the doorbell - confident - some may argue a little too confident. The state I was in was practically laughable and I looked pathetic, but I didn't care.

Every time the thought of her crossed my mind, I felt both overwhelmed and overcome with emotions. I couldn't help myself anymore.

The idea of her being with a person other than myself was physically painful and overall unbearable.

The sound of her voice echoed in my head, and whenever I'd shut my eyes, her face would appear.

I know understood what she was trying to explain on Friday. I felt like a fool for not realizing sooner and the pit of guilt that formed in my stomach made me believe that I was unworthy of her.

Everywhere I turned, I'd see her face. She felt like an otherworldly being, and the laughter and smile that escaped her lips made me believe that there was no other sound I needed to hear.

Her existence made my heart feel at ease.

No one had the ability to make me feel this way, not even Derek.

When I hear footsteps, my palms grow sweaty and I feel my breath shorten with each inhale.

The door creaks open, a bewildered Ariana now standing in front of me.

"Y/n? What are you doing here?"