1) Next!

"Next!" 

        I stand up as another aspiring musician walks out of the room band auditions were being held in. My mother encouraged me to climb out of my shell and give the band auditions a go. She was always one to compliment my guitar skills even if I didn't think they were up to par yet.

    I walk in and am greeted with a group of four people, all of which being boys. What looks like the leader smiles at me and then begins the same speech I'm sure he's said to every person before me. 

        "Hi! We're a band called Catch A Case and we're looking for a sick guitarist. Tells us your name and how much experience you've had."

I pull out my whiteboard and marker and write;

        "Hi, my name is Evan. I've been playing guitar since I was seven years old. I'm 19 now, so I suppose a little over 11 years." 

        I walk over to the table and place the white board in the leader's hands. He reads and then shows the rest of the band. The message is met with eye rolls and just get on with it's. They've given up on me before they've heard me play. This is all too familiar. 

        I turn my guitar around and begin One by Metallica. Halfway through the song, I transition into Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana, and end with the guitar solo in Sweet Child O' MineI am met with a round of applause and a standing ovation from all members. 

        "That was absolutely incredible. I love the transitioning. I love that solo you ended with. Your experience shows," a boy with drumsticks and navy blue eyes comments. I smile.

        The leaders walks toward me and firmly shakes my hand. He smiles, "You did well. You're definitely on the good list of musicians that auditioned today." 

        He hands me a list and asks me to write my name, address, and phone number on the indicated lines. The others seem a little bummed out, but I'm ecstatic. At least I'm on the good list.

        As I'm turning to head out the door, the leader calls out, "Hey Kid!"

        I turn and raise an eyebrow. 

        "You did exceptional today. We'll be in touch."

        His band mates cheer and I smile. Today you did exceptional, Evan. The first thing I have to do is tell my mom.