2) You Won't Believe It.

I pull into the driveway and bound up the stairs and through the front door. 

                "Evan," mom calls, "is that you?"

     I clap once--indicating yes--and then poke my head in the kitchen. Mom looks up from her late afternoon cup of coffee and smiles, "How did it go today?" 

        Mom hands me the whiteboard from the refrigerator and I write:

                "Went well. I got in.... I think. Said they'd be in touch!"

        I hand her the board and watch her expression go from neutral to happy to excited all in the span of three seconds. She leans over the island and pulls me into a tight embrace saying, "I'm so proud of you, honey!"

        I roll my eyes and shove her off. She chuckles and points toward the freshly brewed coffee. I nod and she pours me a glass. The coffee is warm against my cool lips. One thing about being mute; your lips are always cold. I don't know if that's a just me thing because, let's face it, I don't encounter many mutes these days. 

        Mom clears her throat, "Any plans for today?"

        I look at her with a what-kind-of-question-is-that look and then roll my eyes mouthing of course not. That's one of many things about my mom that I love--she knows how to read lips better than just about anyone.

        She sighs, "You should try make and make some friends this year, Evan."

        I grab the whiteboard and write, "No need. No one wants to be seen with a freak or a mute or whatever else they decide to call me, mom. Plus, I don't want pity and every friend I've had was my friend because they pitied me. I prefer being alone."

        Mom grasps my hand after reading and kisses it, "Love you, Evan. You're special to me."

        I smile and mouth, "I know. I love you too.

The doorbell chimes and mom jumps up to get it. I raise an eyebrow and follow her to the door. She smiles, adjusts her top, and then opens the door to reveal a man about her age. 

        "Hello, Ian. This is my son, Evan," my mom says looking pointedly at me. I wave and he does the same. 

        "I'm going out, okay? I love you and I'll be home soon," mom says, kissing my cheek and grabbing her car keys. 

        I wave goodbye as she closes the door and descends the stairs, hand in hand with her new found love. I smile. It's nice that mom is finally moving on from dad. 

        My phone buzzes in my pocket and after draining the rest of my coffee, I slide it from my pocket and slide the screen up. 

                                        New Message

        Unknown: Hey! Meet us at the diner on the square! It's Catch A Case. Thanks, bro. 

        Me: Okay. Will do!

After texting them back, I write, "Catch A Case asked me to meet up with them. Be back soon. Hope you had fun on your date!"

        I grab my house key, blow out the candles, lock the door, and then head toward the local diner. It'll only take me about 15 minutes to walk there and walks help me clear my head.