3

Note: Marissa is an OC.

From vinesauce oneshots (date unknown)

"Marissa, if you'd stop chasing me at recess I would like you more."

"You loove me. I know you do!"

"No, I don't!"

Vinny kicked me under the table, his green eyes cross. "Marissa, that's rude."

"Hey, Vin."

Vinny looked up as a rich accent reached my ears. I looked up to see the new kid who'd just moved here with his dad.

"Hi, Joel." Vinny moved over so he could sit between us. "What would you do if an annoying little girl who's younger than you was chasing you?"

"Kiss her and get over with it."

Joel looked at me with a strange look in his eyes.

"You're Swedish, aren't you?" I asked.

Joel nodded. "Yes."

I groped for Vinny. "He's Italian-American."

"He knows that, Mari. And stop grabbing for me."

He took my wrist.

Joel took my other wrist. "You've got a hot friend."

"Be quiet!" I snapped, blushing.

"Well, you are pretty."

"You're cute!" I snapped back. "That's all I'm going to say."

"No lie? Uncle Jobel is cute, huh? I wouldn't say that. More like badass."

He tilted towards me. "I'll see you later. I've gotta run."

He winked at Vinny and got up, his hand touching mine for a little second.

"Later," Joel said, and left.

The snarky Swede walked off. I watched him go, admiring his quirk.

"That's Jobel for you," Vinny said, scaring the bejesus out of me.

"He's so snarky." I tilted my head.

"That's just him." Vinny put an arm around me, his breath tickling the back of my neck.

"Aren't you glad middle school is almost over?" I asked.

"Yeah." He smiled. "I'll miss you next year."

"Me too," I said.

I felt him cup his hands around my cheek and kiss me. I let out a little yelp.

"Shh."

I got up, noticing that Joel was looking at me intently. His dark eyes studied me, his arms crossed to his black shirt. I had to admit he was adorable like this but that Vinny was way cuter.

Joel noticed my eyes on him and looked away, uncrossing his arms.

"He likes you." Vinny tilted his head, his ear brushing my cheek. "Don't do anything too serious when I'm gone next year."

He got up off of the bench and left me be. I sat there, looking curiously at Joel.

Joel looked at me again and neared me in a rush. He sat down next to me.

"Finally, Vinny's gone." He rolled his eyes.

He turned to me. "Please don't stare at me. People are already looking at us weird. And everyone knows that Vinny and you are.. er.."

He took both of my hands and looked at me with his vicious brown eyes.

"Joel, do you like me?" I asked impulsively.

"Very much, babe." He kissed my forehead and let his knee touch mine.

"Joel, stop!" I yelped.

"Shh."

"You're going way too fast." I shook my hands out of his. Joel pulled back, looking hurt.

"I can go pretty fast if I want." He tilted his head, grinning at me from his witty comment.

"Not funny, Joel Johansson."

We were silent. I felt Joel brush his leg against mine again.

"You're a horrible person, Joel," I muttered.

Joel let his fingers touch my thigh. "Heh. Thanks."

He got up. "Don't tell Vin."

With that, he left. I felt like trailing him but I pushed the urge back. I would talk to him later.

• • •

Sure enough, Joel found me hanging around the building after Vinny had left. His eyes lit up when he saw me.

"Marissa- is that your name?" he asked.

I nodded.

He hugged me, and I rested my head on his shoulder.

"Joel, what if Vinny finds out?"

"He won't find out." Joel's rich, accented voice was warm in my ear. He kissed me on the cheek. "Next year's going to be the best year."

"Jesus. You only just met me and now look at the massive crush you have on me."

"But you're so pretty!" Joel said. His eyes were bright as he looked over me and stroked my side, his fingers running down to my hip.

I jerked my hips, signaling for him to stop.

"Sorry," Joel muttered.

I pulled away from him. "You're disgusting."

"Thanks." He tipped my head back. "Your face is so beautiful."

"Shut up, Joel."

He had a disgusting, dreamy look in his soulful eyes. "When Vin moves onto high school, we're all alone."

"I'm not sure I'd want to be alone with you." I leaned on him.

"I'd love to be stuck in a closet. With you." Joel put his arms around me.

I shifted my head on his shoulder, letting this sink in.