Chapter 1: Lillian

April 20, 2017

"Lily, it's time to go inside," Said Sister Madeline. The white-skinned, blonde girl named Lily was sitting on a bench at the church's playground where she was reading Good Omens, a novel Madeline gifted her last year.

It must be her second time reading it. Sister Madeline thought to herself.

Lily didn't stand up but instead kept reading. Madeline took care of Lily ever since her parents left her at Silver Oak orphanage years ago. Sister Madeline sighed and walked towards Lily, sitting down on the bench with her.

"It's your 15th birthday, Lillian," Sister Madeline continued. "Don't you want to celebrate your special day with the others?"

Lily sighed as she moved a strand of hair hanging in front of her right eye with her finger. "I want to be alone..." she answered as she turned to the next page of her book.

"You've been saying that for ten years," Sister Madeline sighed. "You're 15 years old. You need to learn how to open up to people."

Lily looked at Sister Madeline and pouted. "I can open up to people."

Sister Madeline just crossed her arms at Lily. "Really?" She asked with doubt in her voice. "Is it someone who isn't me?"

Lily grumbles and goes back to reading her book. Sister Madeline sighs again.

"Lily, please come inside," Sister Madeline pleads. "We have your favorite cake prepared."

"Is it a strawberry cake?" Lily asked softly. Sister Madeline smiled at her and nodded.

"Ok." Lily closed her book and stood up from the bench. Sister Madeline did the same as she walked with Lily back into the orphan home.

When Lily went into the orphanage with Sister Madeline, they went into the dining room where the other children and nuns sang happy birthday to Lily; she left for her room with a slice of strawberry cake.

Lily sat down in her room, eating the cake alone on her bed. She's been like this since she first came to the orphanage. Lily refuses to interact with any of the other kids. She's either alone or with the sisters of the orphanage, especially sister Madeline. After finishing the slice of cake, Lily puts the plate onto the nightstand next to her bed. She laid down on her bed as she looks up at the ceiling.

The other kids around Lily's age at the orphanage don't seem to like her. She would sometimes hear them call her things like 'problem child' or 'emotionless girl' behind her back. One time a girl, her age, called her bland right in her face.

Lily sighed as she continues to stare at the ceiling as she starts thinking about her parents.

"Mom... dad? When are you coming to pick me up from this place?" Lily inquired. She sighed as her head rests on the soft pillow. She closes her eyes, hoping to fall asleep peacefully until she heard Sister Madeline.

"Lillian?" Sister Madeline called for her as she walked into her room.

...some people can't see that I want to be alone. Lily sighed and opened her eyes as she " sat up on her bed. She turns to look at the nun.

"Is there something you need?" Lily asked. Sister Madeline nodded and walked towards her. She sat down on the side of Lily's bed.

"I just wanted to see how you're doing." Sister Madeline answered.

"I'm fine," Lily answers quickly, looking away from Madeline's gaze.

"I know you're not," the nun added. "I'm worried about you. So are the children."

"They barely know me," Lily mumbles, looking down diffidently.

"It's because you never give them a chance to," Sister Madeline puts her hand on top of Lily's head and smiles at her. "Let someone besides me talk to you; it'll help you be more social."

Lily looks up at Sister Madeline. "What if I don't want to be social?" She asked.

"Then you'll die alone." Sister Madeline answered bluntly.

She didn't have to say it so bluntly. Lily pouts and looks back down at the floor.

"The world is huge, Lily," the nun continued, "if you can't find people who understand you here, maybe you'll find someone who can outside of the orphanage."

Lily doesn't reply and instead stayed silent. Sister Madeline pouted slightly then slowly changed into a smile.

"How about I take you out tomorrow?" Sister Madeline. "We can go wherever you like."

Lily quickly looked up at the nun with a glow in her eyes. "Really?" She asked, trying to hide her excitement.

Sister Madeline nodded and stood up from Lily's bed. "We'll leave at noon," she leaned towards Lily and kissed her head. "Sleep well, Lillian." The nun leaves the room before closing the door.

Outside of the orphanage. Lily thought to herself. She goes under her blanket as she lay down on her back. She's never been outside of the orphanage ever since she was left here.

Lily looks around her room, and sometimes she forgets that she has a place all for herself. The other children don't get their own individual rooms, except for Lily. One time, she asked Sister Madeline why, and she answered, "It's because there isn't enough room for you to be with the others." Or something along those lines.

Lily was five-years-old when she asked her that question, and even when she was that young, for some reason, she knew the kind and gentle nun lied. Maybe the girls just don't like me. She thought to herself. She couldn't help but always think of the negatives because it's most likely correct. Ever since she first came to the orphanage, Lily has already been seen as the weird girl by the girls her age. It's always because she refuses to be a part of social activities with the other children. I always stay with the nuns, especially Sister Madeline, every time.

Lily sighed and rolled onto her side, clenching tightly onto her blanket.

I want people to like me. Lily closes her eyes and tries to fall asleep. Despite all the negative thoughts she had, she is still excited about tomorrow.