Chapter 16 - Thunder Battle

Thunder rumbled and lightning lit up the sky as we walked along a cliff side, deep in the mountains. Wind and rain whipped at our faces as we pressed on. The rock under my foot gave way and I started to fall forward. Dwalin grabbed the back of my cloak just in time to save me from falling. "We must find shelter!" Thorin yelled over the thunder.

"Look out!" I heard Dwalin yell in my ear. Following his gaze, I saw a boulder flying through the air. It crashed above us, shattering into pieces and we all ducked to avoid being hit.

"This is no thunderstorm. It's a thunder-battle!" I yelled, watching as a Stone Giant ripped a chunk off of the mountain.

"Well, bless me. The legends are true. Giants! Stone Giants," Bofur exclaimed. The boulder was thrown past us and I turned to see another Stone Giant get hit. Thorin yelled for us to take cover and I quickly backed up as the cliff started falling away. The ledge we were standing on began to split between Kili and Fili, moving apart. Looking up, I saw that we were on a Stone Giant. Another one head-butted the one we were on, causing one leg to crash into the mountain. The Giant we were on began to sway after losing its head. The part of the leg we were on started moving towards the wall and I noticed a jagged piece sticking out right where I would land. I shrieked, closing my eyes as we crashed. When I opened them again, I could feel that I was hanging from something. Looking down, I immediately regretted it. I was hanging off the side of the cliff, my fingers slipping in the rain.

I heard someone shout my name and I called up, "I'm down here! Somebody help me!" My fingers slipped as Ori lunged for my hand. I caught a hole in the rock, holding on with only one hand. Thorin hopped down, grabbing my free arm and helping lift me back up. Then, he slipped. I sat shivering, with my back against the stone wall as Dwalin pulled Thorin up.

"I thought we lost our burglar," Dwalin stated, breathing a sigh of relief.

"She's been lost ever since she left home. She should have never come. She has no place amongst us," Thorin replied, glaring at me. I fidgeted, looking away. He led the others into a cave and I slowly followed, finding a corner to put my pack down.

"Right, then. Let's get a fire started," Gloin suggested.

"No. No fires. Not in this place. Get some sleep. We start at first light." I was thankful for that. After the long trek through the wind and rain, and almost falling to my death of course, I was exhausted. I laid out my bed, curling up under the thin blanket and facing the wall. Pulling it over my head, I closed my eyes, hoping to fall asleep quickly.

"He didn't mean it," Kili whispered from behind me.

"Yes he did. Your uncle hates me," I whispered back, hearing some of the Dwarves already snoring.

"He may not exactly like you, but he doesn't hate you." I turned, so that I was now facing him, pulling the blanket off of my face.

"How do you know?" I asked as he laid down too.

"Well, first of all, he saved you from falling. If he hated you, he probably would've just let you slip," he joked, earning a small smile from me. "There's that smile I was looking for." I lifted the blanket back up, covering my face again. Kili tried pulling it down, but I refused, so instead, he lifted the side, poking his face in.

"What are you doing?" I giggled.

"Trying to cheer you up. Is it working yet?" I nodded, looking around.

"We should probably get some sleep. I could definitely use it." He draped his blanket over his body and wrapped his arm around my shoulders, pulling me into him. I shuffled closer, snuggling into his chest for warmth. Our legs intertwined and I sighed, content. Leaning my head up, I gave him a quick kiss before whispering 'goodnight' and quickly falling asleep.

Author's Note:

I'm not really a fan of this chapter, but whatever.

I OWN NOTHING BUT MY CHARACTER!!