Proloque

*3 years ago*

Maui is probably my favorite place during summer. Since it's the fourth of July, my friend Brandon and I are going night surfing. We're not the best but we do it for the fireworks and night swimming. "What time should we head out?" Brandon asked as we sit on my bed.

I look at the time to see it was nine thirty. "You want to now?" I ask as he agrees. We grab our surf boards as we head into my living room. "You all leaving already?" My dad asked from the couch.

"Yeah, I bet there's people already there." I say as he stands up. "Be careful, see you guys tomorrow." My dad waved as we stuck our boards in the bed of Brandon's truck. We wave as we drive towards the beach.

My dad knows about us doing this, we just haven't told mom cause she would flip if she knew we were night surfing. As we drove, we listened to a bunch of songs we liked as there were cars zooming past us. I don't know what I'd do without Hawaii weather.

It's always warm and I can always smell the salt from the ocean. The drive from my house to the ocean weren't far so we had a short ride. "You ready Vee?" He asked as we grabbed the boards. We walked towards the ocean, grabbing glow in the dark sticks from people there.

Brandon and I go out into the ocean and start paddling out there. We would sit on the board most of time look off into the distance. "Can you believe we're about to be seniors?" He asked as we looked off into the distance.

"It seems like yesterday we were taking baths together and trying to play soccer." I reminse the good times. "I sucked at soccer." He laughed as I laughed along with him. "You really did. But whenever you had the ball, you would never pass it." I smile over at him.

Brandon and I have always been close, our parents were close so we naturally grew up. "I just can't wait for you to become big one day, I can see it now. Dj Venus." I glared at him because he knew I hated my name with a passion. My sister and brother had normal names but I had to be named after a planet. That's why I make everyone call me Vee.

"What about you? Have you told your dad you don't wanna do baseball?" I ask as he sighs. "No. But I have time to." He said looking over at me. I hear cheering and shouting from behind us so I turn around and see the fireworks starting. I couldn't help but smile when I saw them.

Brandon slings his arm around me as he watches. "No matter what happens, we're gonna have great lifes." He told me as we watched. By the end, it was twelve thirty so we figure it would be best to go home. As we were sitting at a red light, I felt something hit the back of his truck, making us jolt towards the middle of the road.

"What the fuck?" He asked turning around. As I looked at him, all I could see was huge headlights come towards him. I felt frozen out of fear. Brandon turned to me and saw I was staring at him. More like the headlights getting closer. "What?" He asked as they closer within the second. The next thing I know, we're spinning in the car from getting hit.

After spinning, I could feel something warm and wet running down my head. I unbuckle myself and climb out of the car as Brandon does the same. He was bleeding a lot worse than I was when I reached him. I sat against the car with him on my lap. "I hurt so bad." He groaned in pain as I tried to be strong.

"You're going to be okay." I say trying to hold pressure on his wounds. I could already hear the sirens. "Whatever happens you gotta stay with me, alright?" He pleaded as the sirens reached us. "I won't. I won't leave you." I say as I hold his hand. "Vee, don't leave me." He pleaded as I heard footsteps. "I won't." I say as I see a flashlight point towards us. That's when I started feeling weak, passing out almost insantly.

I then flutter my eyes open and I notice I'm in an ambulance. "Where are we?" I ask as the peremedic talks to me in a calming voice. "You're okay, you just gotta relax." He said as the beeping sped up. Where's Brandon, is he okay?

"Where's Brandon?" I ask trying to sit up. "Everything's okay but you gotta stay still." He said as I looked around. I then look over to see Brandon laying there still. "Brandon?" I ask as I reach for his hand. I touched his hand and it was ice cold. "Brandon?" I ask tearing up as he didn't answer me.

He just laid there, motionless as I tried to call for him. "Brandon!" I yell while trying to push the paramedic off of me. He can't be gone, he has his whole life ahead of him. "No." I cry out as he tries to give me a shot. I look over at his motionless body as I cry. "Stop, no. That's my brother." Even though he's techinally not my brother, I count him as one. But now he's gone.

"I can't leave him. I can't leave him. Oh my god." I cry as I try to push the paramedics hands away as I look at Brandon's motionless body. "I'm sorry Brandon." I sob as I give up the strength to fight the paramedic. "No, Brandon. I'm so sorry." The paramedic finally gave me the shot as I cry out about losing my bestfriend.

I just can't believe he's gone, forever.